Speed limiter vag com?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Seanick
100BHP+

Speed limiter vag com?

Post by Seanick »

Hi guys,

My van is limited and I was wondering as a general rule of thumb is it normally a vcds needed to remove it? Also can vcds remap the ecu?... or would that require a specific map?

Thanks

Seanick
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Speed limiter vag com?

Post by Doc »

What year and engine is your Caddy?
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Seanick
100BHP+

Post by Seanick »

Doc wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:28 am What year and engine is your Caddy?
Hi Doc,

2011 and a 1.6tdi 👍

Cheers

Seanick
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

In that case it should be a easy job to turn it off with VCDS. It is usually in ECU adaptions under individually adjustable speed limit or something similar.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Seanick
100BHP+

Post by Seanick »

Doc wrote:In that case it should be a easy job to turn it off with VCDS. It is usually in ECU adaptions under individually adjustable speed limit or something similar.
Brilliant m8 thanks for the advice..the guy I got it from told me it would require a new ECU to delim it!!...so that's good news .. I'm guessing that a remap is required to boost hp tho?...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Remap is optional and totally separate from limiter removal.

Seanick
100BHP+

Post by Seanick »

Thanks Doc

dipstr
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by dipstr »

Depends on how it was set if I remember rightly. 1. If set to customer recomendations then can be reset.
2. If set to law then will be burned into ECU and that would mean a change of ecu .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Why would a limiter be set to law in this country? Is there a instance where goods vehicles under 3500kg need to be electronically limited?
I can't think of an example and have yet to come across a caddy with this sort of limiter.

Seanick
100BHP+

Post by Seanick »

dipstr wrote:Depends on how it was set if I remember rightly. 1. If set to customer recomendations then can be reset.
2. If set to law then will be burned into ECU and that would mean a change of ecu .

Thanks for your reply.....I don't understand the "set to law"?... the law of the country...re speed limits?

Seanick
100BHP+

Post by Seanick »

Doc wrote:Why would a limiter be set to law in this country? Is there a instance where goods vehicles under 3500kg need to be electronically limited?
I can't think of an example and have yet to come across a caddy with this sort of limiter.
Haha....I hope mine isn't the first then ....hopefully my m8 who has vag com will have a look

dipstr
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by dipstr »

Sorry for the confusion doc. When limiting the ECU you have two options on VW odis. You can either set it via by law(please.note it does not ask for any weight details etc). The other option is via customer request.
Hope that clears it up.

Screwball
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Screwball »

Doc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:47 pm Why would a limiter be set to law in this country? Is there a instance where goods vehicles under 3500kg need to be electronically limited?
All commercial vans no matter of size now have a lower speed limit than cars. Motorway 60mph, dual carriageway 50mph unless the van is fitted with side windows and rear seats making the passenger compartment larger than the load area. (Not that anyone sticks to these limits)

The only reason I know this is because a friend was stopped for doing 63mph on a dual carriageway in a fiesta van.

For this reason my 2015 t6 kombi i use for work can legally travel at higher speeds than my caddy.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

I think your friend have very valid ground to appeal a speeding fine for 63mph on a UK dual carriageway.
The legal limit for a goods vehicle under 7500kg GVW but over 2000kg GVW are as follows.
Single carriageways: 50mph
Dual carriageways: 60mph
Motorways: 70mph
It is all very clearly explained on THIS WEBPAGE.
I'm 99% sure the GVW for a fiesta van is less than 2000kg and therefore the car speed limits should apply. Pass him on that information as prosecution for him at 63mph on a dual carriageway is an injustice.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't believe there is any instance in the UK whereby a caddy would legally require a speed limiter to be fitted. Therefore removing a limiter set in the ECU should ultimately be very possible with VCDS.