Caddy bonnet won't open

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
gjseb
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Caddy bonnet won't open

Post by gjseb »

As above guys any help will be grateful, when it pulled lever and it feels like it just turned on its self and on tension there to release catch
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Caddy bonnet won't open

Post by Doc »

Yep, that'll most likely be your bonnet cable that's come undone behind the slam panel. It's a poor design and I've been suggesting people reinforce it with cable ties for a few years now.
You'll need to go in via the wheel arch to get to where it has dislocated.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
gjseb
Twin Turbo poster

Post by gjseb »

Absolute legend doc it was exactly that I am going to put some cable ties on it it's wired design ain't don't really see why it like that to be honest
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
gjseb
Twin Turbo poster

Post by gjseb »

A bit off subject doc but you know when you take handles out to paint them door handles, there is a little screw you undo to take small part off handle off it seems like I have lost the nut it tightens into if you understand what I mean
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

I'm sorry, I don't know, I've never had my handles off to experience this.

stan-the-man
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by stan-the-man »

There is no nut of any kind in there matey. The torx screw just screws into the bracket locking the lock barrel in place.

Have you any pics?

This is for 2013 caddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Caddy bonnet won't open

Post by dan@biali »

Did you undo the screw completely? Only supposed to back it out as many turns as you need to pull the lock cap out otherwise the nut part I think drops down inside the door and you have to take the door apart to get to it.

I’ll have a look on another forum as I’m sure there’s some info about it for Golfs and it’s similar.

Ok, just looked on YouTube for mkv golf door handle and that doesn’t have a nut. I know the mkiv golf you had to be careful not to undo it completely.

Perhaps the thread has gone on the plate inside the door.
gjseb
Twin Turbo poster

Post by gjseb »

Yeah I backed it out to much mate I think is there any way possible to get a nut on it at all mate I did this on both handles mate done my head in mate
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

I wonder if that etka drawing above doesn't show the mechanism entirely. Does the Caddy have a retaining clip that the screw acts on like in this clip for a 2006 Passat? In which case you might need to take the door card off to get to the mechanism to reset it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih9GpIc7pDY[/youtube]

Actually, doesn't look like it does use the same mechanism

gjseb
Twin Turbo poster

Post by gjseb »

I wonder what bit has fell off then can I just put a small nut on it mate
Brock
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Brock »

Thanks for bumping the bonnet catch problem and pre-emptive, cable tie fix Doc.

I had no idea it could be a problem but have just put two cable ties on!
Danieljthomas
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Danieljthomas »

Hello! This is just the thread I was looking for. I’ve a 2013 Caddy with a stuck bonnet release. I’ve taken away the wheel arch cover but don’t know what I’m looking for to locate the cable. Any pictures of what to look for? I appreciate there might be another thread for this but I can’t access them right now. Thanks!
Sonniemacc
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Sonniemacc »

Hi, I’ve just ran into the same issue with my 2016 Caddy! Is it possible to provide anymore detail to the steps required please? What exactly do I need to look for once I take the wheel and panel off? Is it a cable? Once I’ve found it do I just wrap a cable tie around it and pull?

Thanks,
Sonnie