Gearstick movement, mind of it’s own....

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Kyle!
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Gearstick movement, mind of it’s own....

Post by Kyle! »

Morning guys,

Wondering if you can help me. I have a 2004 2.0tdi (BKD) 6 speed and my gearstick has a mind of its own.

When I accelerate in any gear it moves forward, when i let off the accelerator and let the vehicle drive on the gear, the stick moves forward and backward rapidly and knocks like mad.

(I know this is difficult to picture, i’ll upload a video shortly when get back in it)

I first thought it might be mount, so i’ve changed/fitted:
Engine Mount
Gearbox Mount
Dogbone
Dogbone poly insert

Any other suggestions to look at?

Cheers

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adie66
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Gearstick movement, mind of it’s own....

Post by Adie66 »

If you have replaced all the gearbox mounts ect then obviously something is still lose to
Give you the foward and backwards motion on the gearstick in my opinion it could on be a few things obviously the mounts usually the dogbone are first thing to look at have you taken a look at the gearlinkage and cables ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Kyle!
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Kyle! »

Adie66 wrote:If you have replaced all the gearbox mounts ect then obviously something is still lose to
Give you the foward and backwards motion on the gearstick in my opinion it could on be a few things obviously the mounts usually the dogbone are first thing to look at have you taken a look at the gearlinkage and cables ?

I know, but i can’t think what else could be causing it?

I’ve rechecked all bolts and torqued them up.

Adjusted cables and removed “stretch”

If i push / pull on the lever (for example if i’m in 3rd and push forward or 2nd and pull backwards) i can feel a slight bumping, almost as if i can feel a shaft with a slight cam rotating and hitting the stick.

Again, impossible to visualise over the tinternet so i do really appreciate your input here Image
Adie66
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Adie66 »

Yeah i u understand where your coming from i have a noise on my van im struggling to find out whats making that
Is your van remapped or anything ?

I had a similar problem with my fabia vrs and i upgraded my dogbone to a polly bush and that fixed it

If its nothing that bolts to the engine and box thats lose or worn then it might be internal on the box worst case scenario

The only other thing i can think of is if you take the gator of around your gearstick and take a look at the gearlever itself its worth checking as the gator just unlcips really easy so you can look at it as you move the gear stick

Somebody on here will have alot more info an technical know how with the gearboxes than i do

There only so many things it can be

There was one other thing that ive noticed on my own van is that the arm that is on top of the box is a little bit lose on mine i dont know if this a common thing them coming lose could check that also just few ideas for you

Hope this helps to get it resolved