Misfiring, 1.6TDI 2011 Caddy

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
29guitarman
Caddy2k Groupie

Misfiring, 1.6TDI 2011 Caddy

Post by 29guitarman »

Hi All,

I currently dont have access to the other forums, so sorry for putting this here.

So last night, the Caddy started misfiring, running on 3 cylinders, and went into limp mode, with the ignition light flashing.
This happened following an hour worth a driving, i stopped for fuel (yes the correct fuel), and then getting onto a dual carriage way, on the slip road, it started having a fit.
I managed to get it to a safe location, had a look under the bonnet and couldn't see anything obvious. I parked it up and left it for the night.

Today I went to check the codes to see what i could find, and this is what i got;
9839 - ROD - Unknown Error Code
-00 [101]

I then cleared the code and started the engine, and it seemed fine, took a little while to start mind.
I drove around the car park, bringing the revs up a bit to see if i could make the fault happen again, which i couldn't.
Unfortunately the car park I have it in was locked over the weekend, so have to leave it there (its fine its my secure work carpark), which also means i havent been able to take it on a proper drive and get the engine warm; which i will be doing tomorrow.

Now I am well aware that the 1.6 TDI caddy (2011) has fuel injectors problems, and don't believe it has had any injector replacements done during previous ownership.

Just wondering what people think about this?

If it was the fuel injector, could the issue go away for a short period? or is it once its broke, its broke and the issue would be seen every time?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Misfiring, 1.6TDI 2011 Caddy

Post by Doc »

A quick Google search reveals 9839 is related to injector 3 electrical fault which is typical for the 1.6TDI. If it clears it might get you by for a while but it will come back.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
29guitarman
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 29guitarman »

Cheers, I did see that on Google, but as I didn't get any other information after the code I wasn't too sure if it could be something else.
Can a single injector be changed? Heard a few people say you HAVE to change all 4?
peely
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by peely »

Yes it can be changed mate you don’t have to do all 4 , sorry you have fell foul of the injector issue, has it had the emissions update ? Do you now the date it was done ? 👍
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
donnielee
100BHP+

Post by donnielee »

poor guy its begun!! ive got the 1.6 tdi 2011 also ive replaced 6 injectors and i just turned 100.000 kilometers good luck and i recomend getting a remap you will thank yourself
29guitarman
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 29guitarman »

I knew the day would come.... No idea in regards to the update? It's a BG van, so i guess it has had something done by the previous owner to remove the speed limiter?
I will be replacing a single one for now, cheers guys!
Baker3915
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Baker3915 »

@donnielee

Hi mate, just had an injector go on mine and starting to see this is a common issue, engine is currently misfiring again so about to have another trip to the garage I think. Just wondering about this remap, did you go for it yourself? Was it a performance or economic remap? Did this stop your injector issues?
Last edited by dan@biali on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote added username tag
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

The holes the injectors go in can sometimes become slightly oval after repeated replacement or not replacing straight away which no remap will ever solve. If you've changed them multiple times and still get problems take a look at the holes.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
JC10UDD
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JC10UDD »

What sort of price are you looking at to swap an injector out?
I’ve heard people doing AA parts and labour but not sure if it’s worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
29guitarman
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 29guitarman »

So since this happened and i reset the code, the issue just went away?
Every now and then I may get the very slight judder when accelerating, but not very often at all.

I still have my AA parts cover, so ready for whenever this happens again. I cant remember of the top of my head, but it works out a lot cheaper to use AA's part cover. Excess of £35, up to £500 per job? something like that.

No idea what the re-map was, if even has been done to be honest. Never driven a caddy 1.6 before, maybe its just faster than i expected!
64 split rat
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 64 split rat »

Contact your local dealer answer see if the 23r7 recall is outstanding. This is the emission recall just make sure you clear the codes when you drop it off.
donnielee
100BHP+

Post by donnielee »

do not do the emisions recall as it will destroy your erg valve and gas mileage and if you do have a remap,iit will be taken off. a remap wont save ur injectors resetting the codes works for a little while..not long it will happen again permanent.
Teflonaid
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Teflonaid »

I had my first injector go few weeks ago (injector 1) and now the van misfired again, went into limp mode. Turned it off for a min, came back on into limp mode, turned back off then after a minuet fixed itself....

I want to read it with a code reader but nothing came on the dash ? Will it still give a code ?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.