Android head unit

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
JeffJam31
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Android head unit

Post by JeffJam31 »

Thanks for this fellas

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Wildfowler
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Wildfowler »

Thanks from me too!!
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

So have you last few Gents actually fitted the RCD330 yet or still waiting for it? And have you found a (relatively) reliable source for them?
Russ74
100BHP+

Post by Russ74 »

I’ve used this guy very reliable and quick too.

ZAR 3,994.76 | 6RF 035 187 E CarPlay Android Auto RCD330 RCD340 Plus Noname Radio 6RF035187E
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vbaYYX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

ta for the link. Looks like he's only sold 6 of them, might hang on a while yet! (unless he sold all six to you) :D
Russ74
100BHP+

Post by Russ74 »

I wish
I bought Rcd 510s from him quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Can anyone tell me what grief I'm liable to encounter (lost codes or worse?) if I attempt to fit my old Joying head unit into my 2014 Maxi and then find a problem and have to re-fit the standard radio? Trying to put myself off breaking something :lol:
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Fluxxy91 »

None mate, it's so easy to remove & refit the radios. Unless your joying unit has the VW mounting holes you'll need an adaptor to fit it. Or go for a straight fit android unit like the ones mentioned above :)

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Thanks Fluxxy91, I'll try to pluck up the courage after I've heard from Joying about their canbus harness.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Someone had a thread not so long ago where they fitted a joying head unit and I seem to remember someone else talking about a harness for one as well unless that was you.

There's no real difference in fitting head units, someone somewhere can make anything fit anything, I remember the days of people using laptops in the dash then when ipads came out that was a popular phase for a while.

Worse comes to worse you get someone to cut the plugs off your existing joying harness and the caddy and solder them together.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Cheers Scooby. Joying got back to me this morning (excellent service after buying in 2016!) and said they don't think I'll get the required functionality from their current VW harness on an old HU. I'll probably go with one of the suggestions on here when the time comes. I do like the fit-and-forget RCD330 idea, sounds a safe bet for an old dodder like me but the Pumpkin looks so much nicer, and Joying have their new Android 10 one which specifically lists the Caddy as a go. More head scratching to be done.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Sorry bud I didn't realise the joying had different versions. Read some good things about the pumpkin and its cheap but also read the screen sensitivity can fade on some units.
I really think its swings and roundabouts on the cheaper android units, do some research and take the plunge before it drives you mad is probably the best advice.
A lot of people like the rcd330.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

I guess the one I have (xtrons pq90mtvl) is very much fit and forget. Comes with the mounting holes directly on the head unit to use existing screws and is a direct fit. They supply a harness which plugs directly in so no extra work involved. If you want, it has the capability to add reversing camera/subwoofer/dashcam etc etc and is pretty much the same as a pumpkin/joying unit, just WAY better and fast as anything. It comes with Android 10 also I believe. Can double check version number and post here tomorrow. If you'd like, I can do a short vid showing you the radio and how to install etc?

T-Kaddy
Caddy Fan

Post by T-Kaddy »

Thanks again Fluxxy91, that does sound pretty good. Please don't go to any trouble as I'm likely to change my mind again! Version number may be handy though if that's easy to get.
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Fluxxy91 »

Sorry I'm as useless as anything! I've popped up a piccie of version numbers etc! Important to have that MCU version or higher as there were issues with a previous one where it wouldn't turn off. Actually I'd expect my version is a bit out of date so I may email them for the most updated files of each!

Last edited by Giddy on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of previous post