Buyer Protection

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Harvey11
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Buyer Protection

Post by Harvey11 »

Ladies/Gents
Is buyer protection not a thing in the Caddy scene? There’s been a few instances now where I’ve set up with people to buy stuff and they’ve all insisted on bank transfer. I haven’t moved forward with any of them, I get that some people will have unfortunately been mugged off when selling stuff but that works both ways right?
3 times out of 3 so far and it’s already got tiresome. I know nobody knows me but from my point of view alarm bells do ring when people insist on being paid this way. If they had nothing to hide there shouldn’t be a problem?? I don’t even know who these people are let alone where they are should there be a problem..
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Buyer Protection

Post by Giddy »

Are you talking about this forum or just some sellers in general from a various auction sites? :roll:
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Harvey11
Caddy Fan

Post by Harvey11 »

No it’s not happened here. I don’t really use eBay either, just some of the more popular ;) FB groups I’m on for caddy’s..
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I've paid for a lot of things via bank transfer.
Just make a concise contract for the sale.

I've had photos of ID, an email with photos of the goods with specifics on part numbers and full description of condition etc.
At the end of the day, if you pay someone for something and they don't come good, it's fraud plain and simple.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Gresley
Hyper Poster

Post by Gresley »

I'd never pay with bank transfer unless I know the person or I have the product I'm buying in my hand.

But if I was selling, I also wouldn't really want to use paypal (unless it was something cheap) because there is a lot of fraud that goes on, and from what I see, its always the seller that loses out.

I bought an item for £5000 with paypal. It had a fault, the seller refused to arrange for it to be repaired/replaced or refunded. I did contact paypal and they opened a case. Paypal said they did not get the required information from the seller so they refunded my money and didn't ask me to send it back.
I was surprised. I did send it back.

I think some people just don't want to sell with paypal for the above reasons, but yes I'm sure there are also some who do it because they think they can get away with more, with a bank transfer.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I don't know who you bank with but every UK bank i know of cover you for fraud.
Running my own emergency callout business I have bank transfer as one of my payment methods and never had a problem.

You use your debit card to pay for fuel or groceries don't you? I'm sure you have as most places during lockdown insist on it, there's no difference in you using your debit card or doing a bank transfer.
Most vehicle sales are done with bank transfers due to the amounts involved.

Perfectly safe and neither party has to pay charges like you would with PayPal and in most cases you have more protection than PayPal.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Harvey11
Caddy Fan

Post by Harvey11 »

Scooby when I’m buying groceries they’re in my hand to check them aren’t they. I’ve never had to make a claim for fraud either so I don’t know how easy it would be to go through the process.
I’ll call my bank now I know that and find out more. I do t want to be on the receiving end of faulty or damaged parts and a whole load of hassle to sort it out.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

OK, if you buy online or over the phone the parts aren't in your hand.
Honestly it's no better or worse than anything else. Cash is the worst, you have zero come back.
If your bank doesn't cover you for fraud you need to change banks, I know all the main ones including building societies do.
If you get told something different by your bank it would be helpful to know what they said and which bank it was.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Harvey11
Caddy Fan

Post by Harvey11 »

No true but when I buy online I’m buying from a business, with an address and proper contact details, not a photo of a debit card from some bloke I’ve never heard of.
I said I didn’t know banks would cover me for this or view a broken item as fraud and I didn’t. I’ll call my bank and find out what’s what as I said previously.
I never buy over the phone.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

And as I said there's no difference between you giving someone your account details (you never send a picture of your card, you only need to send sort code, account number and name on card) with an address you don't know or buying from a shop with an address you don't know.

I know you said you didn't know and was going to ask your bank, I said once you've asked them, if you get told differently let me/us know.
Harvey11
Caddy Fan

Post by Harvey11 »

An address I don’t know I can still pay a visit to. I’ll get back to you on the rest of it but if I’m covered I’m covered. Regarding the photo of a card I meant that’s what I’ve been sent..
All said and done if I’m not happy I don’t move forward as has been the case so far. It’s a Facebook thing really, only a fool wouldn’t realise that place is full of leaches..
I’m currently having a lot of expensive work done by a member of this group who will remain nameless, as will the details of what I’m having done. The sort of money I could buy another van with but I got to have a look at his history and build up a picture of what he’s like and I’ve had many long chats with him and regular updates with photographs have been given along the way so trust came that bit easier..
That and he’s a diamond of a man all round..
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

I've got to admit I miss read your post about saying it wasn't people on here but fb groups.

If someone has sent you a pic of a card that is either suspect or stupid, as a buyer why would you need to know their details anyway lol also including the long number on a card can let you or anyone else buy anything on the card as there are still many places that don't request the security numbers off the back.

I'm not arguing with you, I agree everyone needs to be careful these days I was just saying bank transfer is more secure than many other forms of payment out there. I do read fb is a law unto itself however.

With the cost of vans ranging from £500 to £40,000 I look forward to seeing what you're having done.
Harvey11
Caddy Fan

Post by Harvey11 »

I’ll post it when it’s back here bud and I’ve had it lowered lol...,
I’ve learned this is a place I can trust so maybe I should just post wanted ads when I’m after something...
Smithers61
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Smithers61 »

It's news to me that banks offer buyer protection - once you've paid that's it. The whole selling point/business model of Paypal is that they offer buyer protection that banks don't. As Gresley has said above, it works, and that's what the seller pays fee for.
Iirc there is some legal point where you get protection when buying by credit card as the bank/ credit card company is in effect contracting with you and the seller separately, but that's credit cards and a separate thing.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Unless you're with some obscure bank your bank will offer fraud protection which is what I said. I've recently gone through this myself with tsb, I ordered and paid for something from Canada on my debit card last October which still hasn't come, I filled out a form with tsb last week and got my money back.
I don't have a credit card, that's a completely different conversation.

Just so you know PayPal doesn't always work, I've had transactions go in favour of the seller (I'm talking ebay here) and I've ended up with nothing as have a few friends.