No drive

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Lazy-Cherry
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

No drive

Post by Lazy-Cherry »

Hi was driving along today and suddenly went up a gear and there was no drive to wheels just wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea what could be causing this as now the van will change gear but not move and cant get to garage
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: No drive

Post by Scoobysrt »

What year van, engine and box?

Any crunching, grinding, vibrations or smell?

If its manual (sounds an auto from your post) what is the clutch pedal doing?
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Lazy-Cherry
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lazy-Cherry »

The Van is 2006 and manual no noise or grinding the clutch is abit soft
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

If you put it in gear without the engine running can you push it, ie does it free wheel in gear?
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Lazy-Cherry
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lazy-Cherry »

Yh can push in gear
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Are you certain it's going into gear and not just the gearstick going where it should?

Did it go with a loud bang and stop working or it just stopped working?

If its definitely going into gear you've had a serious failure somewhere, could be transmission shaft/main shaft, flywheel, diff or one or two other things, if its just the gear stick going where it should but it's not actually going into gear it could be a couple of things to do with the clutch mechanicals all much easier and cheaper to deal with.

Unfortunatley none of the above are really driveway repairs for you unless you're well set up.

Someone else might chirp in but personally I think you need to get it into a garage and prepare yourself for the worst.
Lazy-Cherry
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lazy-Cherry »

I think so it going in garage tomorrow so will just have to wait thanks for your help I just wanted a rough idea of what it could be and you helped alot thanks
Fluxxy91
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Fluxxy91 »

I'm thinking that the shift rod has broken and it's just not going into gear. If it were any of the selector forks in the gearbox I'd expect to lose one or two years but not all of them. No bangs etc so I'd say small problem. If you can, take the airbox out and get someone to move the gearstick & see if it actuates the shifter mech on the top of the gearbox. You may be able to see it without removing, not sure what the layout is on the 2006 caddys.
https://youtu.be/cmt0KQvPIjU
Check about 1:10 on this video. I'm thinking one of the linkages has broken off. Worth while to check!

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

A.Gratton
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by A.Gratton »

Have you checked to see if a cv has failed never had it with a caddy but my lowered golf used to do them on the regular?