Coolant help

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Coolant help

Post by RY_VW »

Need my coolant topping up and have always used water :roll: my dads given me some top up coolant which is blue not pink and have heard conflicting answers about mixing them. Does it matter?thanks - Ryan
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Coolant help

Post by Scoobysrt »

Days gone by the colour used to denote what chemicals were in them and how much anti corrosion additives etc but then cheaper stuff started using colours to denote winter or summer coolant, pink or blue being the most common with supermarket stuff.
These days it doesn't seem to denote anything and is just a colour with the cheaper stuff.

If you've used water to top up before I would do a full coolant change with a decent coolant so you're sure of its strength and qualities but it might not be a bad idea to change anyway so you know what's in it.

Topping up with any colour until you do a full change won't really matter too much but don't forget to do it normally mixing coolant is a no no because although it's all glycol based they have different additives and it's possible for them to congeal in bigger quantities but a top up which will be a mug full should get you home or to the shop to buy new coolant for a full replace

I stopped topping up with water quite quickly in my early days of driving when one winter I found all the core plugs popped out of my vauxhall block with ice lol. although recommended practice incase of emergency is to top up with distilled water

edit done to clarify some points so as not to misguide anyone, at the end of the day there's loads of people who top up a tank with whatever they have without issue but as suggested it is actually bad practice and if you're unsure what's in it do a full system flush and replace
Last edited by Scoobysrt on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Coolant help

Post by Lister79 »

That isn’t true, do not mix different coloured antifreeze.
You need to use G13 or G30 coolant, it will say on your bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Coolant help

Post by RY_VW »

Thanks for the advice guys and with that being said I'll pop to the shop in morning, I dont trust this coolant much :lol:

Bloody hell scooby :oops: previous cars were topped up with water not the caddy so im good there :D
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)