Insulation/ sound deadening

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Benny88
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Insulation/ sound deadening

Post by Benny88 »

Folks I need some help!!

Iv recently brought a new van and have started to strip it down ready so can get my racking sorted for work. Upon taking off the ply lining already fitted, I saw that it’s had some insulation applied but no sound deadening

Does anyone know if either I can

1 strip it all off so I can start again

OR

2 if I can apply the sound proofing over the insulation (but to me I think it would be pointless as it isn’t on plain metal)

Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Insulation/ sound deadening

Post by the swan fiend »

You’d be best stripping it off. The sound deadening is designed to stop the metal resonating.
Make sure you wipe the panels first with alcohol wipes or similar. Also, silent coat doesn’t stick on the roof for very long, so I wouldn’t bother doing it. Other brands may stick better, I’d do research into this first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
readyboy61
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by readyboy61 »

As above strip it all off and start again, unless you know the insulation type bin it asit may absorb moisture and then you rot the van out from he inside.

Sound deading wise, its all about adding ,mass to a panel, the often foil backed sound deading does this but only for lower frequency, you idealy need to then add another foam layer for higher frequency then insulation on top.
MICHAELHS
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by MICHAELHS »

Is the insulation not waterproof, have put some in my doors, and was wondering if we soak up water.

Mike