18" wheels on Maxi with no lowering?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Martyns_Maxi
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

18" wheels on Maxi with no lowering?

Post by Martyns_Maxi »

Hi all,

First day as a member and first post, so apologies if this question/request has already been asked?! If so please point me in its direction as sure loads of useful stuff there...

So I've bought a Caddy Maxi and I'm turning it into a camper. New to the game, so first shot at it. So far gutted out the back, sound deadened and insulated it all, put down laminate floor, carpeted the wall panels, and installed a DC to DC charger and leisure battery system with a 12v control panel and some LED lights on the roof. Also cut a hole in the roof and put in a low profile 12v roof fan/vent. It's been a mission, but taking shape now and learnt a good few tricks along the way!!

I'm now looking at replacing the stock steelies with a set of black multispoke 18"s (my maxis grey, so thought that'd look pretty pimpin), but I'm not wanting to lower it if I can help it both as extra expense and don't want the former ride. I can't see any pics of maxis on 18s with factory suspension. So wondered if A anyone has any pics of it so I can see what it looks like, and B if it would drive OK!

Ps Id love to post pics of the progress and open to give any tips where I can of the limited knowledge I know, so please let me know how đź‘Ť

Cheers, Marty
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: 18" wheels on Maxi with no lowering?

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Hi Marty,

Welcome aboard and good luck with the camper project.

I have a mk4 maxi life. This did have stranded 16” alloys but I have upgraded to 18” VW Serron from a golf. Currently at standard ride.

This drives fine, maybe a little better than the 16’s due to be slightly wider? Handling wise I think mine is pretty good as far as vans go but I don’t think it will ever compete with a car due to size and height.

I don’t think it looks terrible but would look and probably handle better with some lows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kneecap
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by kneecap »

@SIMONSNOT just yesterday bought some serron 18" wheels for my Life. Pick them up at the weekend. They look great on yours, which is good to know. I think I'll lower mine around 50 mm as wanna be practical.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Belham31
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Belham31 »

Hi mate just wondering where you fed your 12v ignition switched supply for your dc to dc charger please?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Re: 18

Post by SIMONSNOT »

@kneecap
Cheers pal.
I wanted something OEM.
Mine where peppered when I got them and needed refurbing. Looked great after that.
I want to lower it but need to sort the mrs out a car first before I start chucking loads of money at it.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
Martyns_Maxi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Martyns_Maxi »

Sorry for the late reply all, just seen that my first post was approved! 🙏

@SIMONSNOT your Life on the wheels looks the bomb! đź‘Ś Thanks for sharing. Doesn't look high at all. So I went ahead and took the plunge in the end anyway.. got a set of green rimmed, black powder coated S8 18"s and have to say like the look!! Just trying to figure out how to post a pic on here (how do I??). I luckily managed to get away for a wee weekend in the van there (maiden voyage!) and albeit being really hot and getting eaten by midges, it was amazing.

@Belham31 very good question bud! So I've run the + & - from the starter battery along the passenger front quarter panel to a wee grommet by the passenger door hinges, then along the passanger door skirting to behind the passanger seat. I'll see if I can take some pics of the route and post (again, when I see how to post pics), but I found the route on this YouTube video... https://youtu.be/DWDSeVOBQKg

Cheers lads đź‘Ť
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Hello and welcome @Martyns_Maxi, here's mine before and after lowering with 18" wheels, to give you an idea.

Before

After
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
Martyns_Maxi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Martyns_Maxi »

Hi Mark1a, sorry just seen your post! Can't view the pics unfortunately, only shows up as an emoji icon of a sheet of paper with a rip through it.. something I've done/my settings I suspect. Will try get it sorted this end đź‘Ť
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

@Martyns_Maxi
Cheers pal, I do like my wheels but at some point these may become my winters.

I’m looking to extend my VW extended warranty for a further 2 years so although I would like to lower it a bit I don’t then want to void the warranty. I did notice though in the VW commercial accessory’s brochure that VW do a 30mm lowering kit for the caddy. I know 30mm isn’t a great deal of lowering but I think I would be happy with that amount and still retain warranty as it’s VW parts fitted by VW.

I find the easiest way to upload pictures is through tapatalk.
Last edited by Giddy on Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote
Phatboy
Caddy Fan

Post by Phatboy »

My caddy came with the factory "lowering Kit" but in reality it seems to just be 30mm lowering springs at the front and no lowering at the rear.

It still looks like it rides high and im contemplating a full 60mm lowering kit from Woflsburg Vans. Ive just re reard the VW warranty book and it clearly says under exclusions "Vehicles modified in any way from the original manufaturers specification." As ive started to modify my van, carpeting, Golf R seats, Caddy Life centre consol I think VW could easily refuse any future watrranty claim so it looks like I wont be extending my warranty! They want ÂŁ380 for next year anyway which seems a lot!
2018 Caddy Highline 2.0TDI 148bhp
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

That why I want with oem wheels.

I don’t think seats, carpet, centre console would effect warranty.
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

@SIMONSNOT I wouldn't count on it with VW, on one of my dealer services, they refused to check the tyres pressures as it didn't have the factory 16" wheels. That's why I had no qualms about lowering & remapping a year before end of warranty, they didn't seem overly helpful. Hence now I go to a local independent who knows more about VAG gear than probably most of the dealer staff and still uses genuine parts on servicing.
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Mine was inspected for the warranty by VW as per my picture above and the only things they said were about the gearbox and a cover on one of the shockers. Otherwise they didn’t seem to have an issues.

I did get it serviced at a independent VW garage at half the price of vw but I did get the game belt done by VW as the price wasn’t that much different.