1.6L TDI Engine issues post 23r7 Emissions Fix

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
JArcher101
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

1.6L TDI Engine issues post 23r7 Emissions Fix

Post by JArcher101 »

Hello all, thi sis my first post and i've come looking for advice and to see if anyone has expirienced the same issues. Sorry in advance for the background but I think the 23r7 emissions fix has well and truly buggered the engine (or not...)

Caddy Maxi 2013 (62 plate) 1.6L 102hp TDI, I bought the van back in Feb21 at 200,000 miles and it ran so sweet, old fleet van and 160,000 motorway miles.

29th March21 going down the motorway i lost power, it went to limp and the glowplug light was flashing amber, 5 mins sat on the HS seemed to fix the issue but a few miles later it happened again. The van had to be recovered and through OBD it was pinned as the EGR, I was debating a delete but got it replaced.

The van now appeared to be in working order until the same thing happened...

3rd June21, going down the dual carrigeway and I lost power, limpped in to a junction and had to get recovered again! I was fuming and assumed the same issue so this time i was going to get it deleted. well this time the OBD gave the garage an issue with an injector & this was replaced.

Again the van now appeared to be in working order but you can guess whats coming...

23rd June21, doing about 30mph , my foot steady on the clutch I could feel the engine jumping as if I was pumping the accelerator then the dreaded loss of power and flashing glowplug light, i limmped back to the hotel we were staying at. I could see some oil leaking around injector 1&2 so i thought maybe they had been disturbed in the replacing ot it just wasnt quite in right. the technican who attended said the OBD gave him an issue with the oil pressure sensor & switch. The garage looked at it but couldnt find anyhting - by the time it had got there on the back of the truck it was working fine and they couldnt get it to play up at all.

7th July21 comes around and im heading up the dual carrigway same issue loss of power, van is recovered to the garage and again they cant find anything wrong, they send the ECU off for testing and the believe it is faulty so it swapped for another with all the data from mine flashed to it. I dont get the van back till 28th August21

The problem persisits and I can really feel the engine pumpng and juddering at 70mph. Eventually the inevitable happened 4th September21 and the van lost power. The garage cannot find any issues whatsoever with the mechanics of the engine but asked if I could contact the previous owner to se if it has had 23r7 emissions fix done on it...

The van had it done in Jan18 so unfortunately its outside the VW warranty and goodwill policy and is also as its over 160K miles. The garage have phoned VWand the technican there agreed the van needs to go to a VW van centre for a software update... this only leads me to believe all the issues are related to the 23r7 "fix" and now I have to pay them to 'fix' it again! All this possibly wasted work on a perfectly fine engine because of VW's cock up. to me it is clear as day the issues relate to the emissions fix but i wanted to gether some other views and opinions.

One positive to come from this is the amazing service GreenFlag business offer (no this post isnt an advert for them but I cant help praise them enough) I paid £97.50 for a year national cover. The van has been recovered 4 times, which took 7 different technicians due to being recovered from Birmingham to Cornwall twice, once from NI and once a small recovery from half hour away from the garage. Not only this but on one occasion I was able to get a hire car to continue my journey and another they also agreed to a train ticket expense over nearly £200. I cant complain one bit for I have well had my moneys worth from them, and you are not left waiting hours for the AA or RAC becuase they have a network of technicains which I was skeptical about to begin with but the service has been excelent each time and I've waitied no more than half an hour!
Last edited by JArcher101 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
lal138
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: 1.6L TDI Engine issues post 23r7 Emissions Fix

Post by lal138 »

Hi you have a few problems maybe caused by E189 Emissions fix Check what software version your ECU is running on Hope you get it sorted Pete
JArcher101
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JArcher101 »

This is what i thought, its in with VW on Monday. I'm just annoyed that i will have to pay for the update when there is no mechanical issue with the vehicle, i havent changed the software, it is purely caused by the 'fix' VW did in the first place!
lal138
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by lal138 »

Hi They should be able to tell you when update was done if it was done . They gave owners two years warranty for certain parts from date E189 update was applied to van . VW did have a checker online where you could put your details in and check if update had been applied but I believe this has now been removed from internet Hope you get it sorted I had a long fight with VW to get my van sorted .E189 update was a disaster for owners and still they claim update did no harm SHAME ON VW .I did get my van sorted eventually and love it like most members on this forum Good Luck Peter
JArcher101
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JArcher101 »

Had it done in Jan18 so out of warranty and also over the 160k goodwill gesture mile policy. Hopefully VW will h
Sort it