Heater problem.. not the usual one?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Lockstock »

Hi everyone new to the forum. I have 2015-20 spec Caddy Maxi, 2.0 tdi startline.

I have a possible unusual heater issue. I have q receipt from previous owner for a recent heater controler/blower replacement and resistor. (£140).

I have noticed that If I turn the fans up with the heat on the heater works as expected. Slowly gets warm and then fires hot air out at all 4 speed settings..
BUT if I turn fan knob down to zero... I can tell the fan is off, but Im pretty sure the heater matrix is still ON.

Driving at speed there is a tiny bit of airflow through vents and I can feel them staying or getting warm/hot. If I turn the heater dial down to zero, it gets cold.. If I turn the heat dial back to max, they get warm again..

What could be the issue? Is it possible the repair was done wrong? Could the resistor and dial at zero be restricting current enough that the fan turns off, but still enough that the heater matrix is behaving like the fan is still at 1?

It's a tough one to diagnose but something doesn't seem right. Id welcome any advice
cheers
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The heater matrix will continue to stay hot as long as you have the heater dial set to hot. The hot air is simply the outside air being forced through the system as you drive, passing over the heater and into the cab, all perfectly normal. If you set the system to recirc with the blower fan off the air flow will drop even further as the flaps to the outside will close (they are not a tight seal though)

All perfectly normal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Heater problem.. not the usual one?

Post by Lockstock »

Spot on, thanks so much for the quick reply and one less thing on my list.
cheers man