Bit rough 2006 tdi. *New ex BG van*.

Show off your caddy
Joshuaaitken
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Bit rough 2006 tdi. *New ex BG van*.

Post by Joshuaaitken »

Hi I’m Josh from Gloucester. Picked up a 2006 tdi last month for £1300, got it MOT’d and started spending!

So far I have mainly done interior stuff. I’ve fitted a MK4 R32 steering wheel, Sony AV 100 head unit, 8” sub, Touran carpets, seat bases, centre console and plastics. I’ve also fitted mk5 GTI front seats which have now had the seat drawers from the Touran fitted.

I got all the Touran parts from a rough Touran I picked up on Monday for £390. Had to drag my Trooper from the grave yard and bodge the trailer back together (overhauling the trailer) to pick it up.

The van needs a clutch and either turbo or head gasket as it’s using a lot of oil. My plan is to remove the engine and box in the next few weeks and sort what needs sorting. I don’t want to spend £2k on a respray so I’ve bought good condition barn doors, slider and pass front and I’m going to raptor paint the whole van I think. £100, durable and I can do whatever colour I want with the tintable version. I’ve also fitted a set of 20” speedlines that we’re previously fitted to my Passat CC and tinted facelift rear lights.

I have a set of front Brembo brakes to go on, new rear brakes, new exhaust, roof bars, wind deflectors, sound deadening, carpet for the rear, roof lights, reverse camera and a few other little bits. Still need to order coilovers, dmf and clutch and head gasket/turbo.

Plan is to put the Touran front end on or, at least the headlights and bumper and use it for commuting to London for work.

I’ll upload some photos shortly, got to look at how first! Josh
Last edited by Joshuaaitken on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Joshuaaitken
Caddy Fan

Re: Bit rough 2006 tdi.

Post by Joshuaaitken »

Just a few of the van so far, no particular order.
Probably should have pulled the car back a few inches. Trooper did 200 miles on 3 injectors, absolute....
Same night I got it to my units.
This is today, I’ve got the driver seat in, centre console and passenger seat base.
This is what I found in the Touran. I’m pretty sure it had been used as a van, door cards are rough but I may buy another and break it, a better spec’d one maybe.
Did a good mates clutch and flywheel last week at the units so the 5 speed van should be a doddle!
Here’s the brakes. Wanted TTRS front brakes, used to have some on my mk6 GTI but they’re nearly £1k for a rubbish set now. I paid £600 for mine 3 years ago. I think as the cars have gotten cheaper more people have modded them so scene point parts have gone up.
Here is my other car.

I’ve got a private plate JA14 KEN spaced J A14KEN for the Audi (name is Josh Aitken) and one from the trooper M6 VHL for the Caddy.
Last edited by Joshuaaitken on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joshuaaitken
Caddy Fan

Re: Bit rough 2006 tdi. 20” Speedlines

Post by Joshuaaitken »

A few changes in the last couple of weeks.
I've fitted the Touran seat bases and swiped the drawers from the seats for my MK5 gti seats. The seats accept 3 or 5 fixings but seem secure enough.
I've also fitted a MK6 GTD MFSW steering wheel, any advice on making the horn work and getting rid of the airbag fault light would be much appreciated!
Here is one of the Caddy and Touran. The Touran doesn't quite look like this now, engine and box are out. If anyone wants to take a risk on a 6 speed conversion there is a box and linkage here going for free. Car had done 149k. All gears work however I cannot guarantee they work well lol. Would advise on a new clutch as a minimum. If not it'll go to scrap on Monday.
Here is one with trip and CC stalks fitted, not entirely sure they'll ever work as I haven't been able to code them yet but, I'll have a play again once the engine and mechanical work is done. I have MK5 GTD clocks to go in now. Also a spare Touran cluster at home with temp gauge.
Got two Ebay special wings in the post the other morning, a whole £40.11 each! Primer is quite rough on them, they need a flat sand before painting. I REALLY REALLY want to do a facelift conversion but with me being me, I'll only have the van for a few months and loose a lot of money on it. I'm stopping myself putting another £1000 into it for the minute.
This was my bed for the last two nights, I've done a couple of days overtime (to pay for car parts) which has involved me sitting in the van from 1800-0000, doing a few checks on a train then sleeping for 3 hours whilst the overheads are isolated for track works. I then wake up, turn the train on and go home.
I have all the stuff to do the rear carpeting now, just need some thin ply to re do the roof so I can add spot lights and cover some gaps.
And finally, I know my posts get a little word heavy! A few of the van on the day I picked it up and one with the private plate on. Ignore the holes in the barn door, I have 4x new doors to go on. Thinking about it, the only removable panel I am not replacing is the drivers door!

I've also salvaged a few last bits from the Touran before I scrap her on Monday:
- Front subframe assy inc lower arms. I plan on either re bushing with OE equivelant or poly bushing.
- Rear brakes, they're bloody brand new and Ive just bought new discs and pads for the van!
- Rub strips
- Map reading light (although I have a Cupra R headlining with associated bits at home so I might use the grab handles and int light from that as it's black).
- Headlights, 4 circle ones, going to joey them.
- Front bumper.
- Door handles, mine look rubbish so I'll fit them before I paint the van.

If anyone wants anything from the Touran for nothing let me know,
Joshuaaitken
Caddy Fan

Post by Joshuaaitken »

In other news, my wife's car 'broke down' the other day. Turns out it was a flat battery.... Her Step Dads jump leads were pooped and my jump pack was flat so the Trooper/Brian James combo came out again. Just thought I'd try the Trooper on the A3 before I loaded it, was annoyed/relieved it was just the battery.
We have already made the decision to get rid of the A3. She now wants a 2019 Mini Cooper S 5 door in grey. It'll be a 69 plate by the time we get it, making my 18 plate A6 look old and horrible! (Just joking I love it!).
And this is my dog. He'll end up having some real estate in the van once it's done, partially the reason I've done the rubber floor in the back as he never comes back clean when we go for a long walk!
Lister79
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Lister79 »

Coming on well mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Toffee Brown with EA888 Gen 3 2.0 TSi (CJX) engine (417.5 BHP 545 Nm), Grinds/ABP air suspension and a few other mods :D
Build thread:
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36629
Joshuaaitken
Caddy Fan

Post by Joshuaaitken »

Well this lasted long! I’ve let a mate use the white one and I’ve bought an ex BG maxi today. I’ll upload pictures shortly.
Joshuaaitken
Caddy Fan

Re: Bit rough 2006 tdi. *New ex BG van*.

Post by Joshuaaitken »

Here is the new van. I’m going to start a new build thread for this one.
Sean1066
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Bit rough 2006 tdi. *New ex BG van*.

Post by Sean1066 »

They are nice and easy to build.
I love my EX BG caddy.
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851