Caddy R360 build thread

Show off your caddy
evans1089
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Re: My Caddy 'R' build thread

Post by evans1089 »

Certainly not a good day! Hope you get them sorted mate! What gains you hoping for with exhaust, delete and remap?
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

It's all part of the fun modifying things! Even though it was 100 miles each way, able to laugh about it. As for gains, think it will be in the 180bhp range but the torque should be up to 300-350ft/lbs. Won't be pushing for more out of it, I don't see the point. I'd rather do an engine swap in the future! That is if the engine I want starts to get cheaper on eBay...........!!
MsD
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by MsD »

dan@biali wrote:It's all part of the fun modifying things! Even though it was 100 miles each way, able to laugh about it. As for gains, think it will be in the 180bhp range but the torque should be up to 300-350ft/lbs. Won't be pushing for more out of it, I don't see the point. I'd rather do an engine swap in the future! That is if the engine I want starts to get cheaper on eBay...........!!

The fun never stops! So they say...

You need a silly engine to go with the R inspired theme!

Can I ask where you got the reversing camera from?

Mark.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

I'd love a proper sounding engine in it - my other car is a mkiv R32 with full Milltek so this is a downgrade in sound! Definitely want to do something in the future but its already eaten a ton of money! Camera was an eBay purchase.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

I've been busy rebuilding the R front bumper. The original one now serves as a prototype. A costly one at that but I learnt some invaluable lessons from it. The new version is based on a 2011 Touran and Golf R bumper. I should have done this from the word go.

I've still got so much sanding and filling to do but its coming out much better than the last one. I've been trying to source a debadged grille for a facelift Touran/Caddy but no one seems to be doing one. Its the only vehicle on the planet that the usual suspects haven't done one for and I even emailed Bonrath, Jom, FK, and another I forget but they've come back saying its not on their radar. Oh well, plan B is to attempt to take 2 Touran ones and make one but its seriously complicated.

I've also heard about my new seats. They should be with me on thursday next week. Excited is an understatement but also nervous as I asked for Golf 5 subframes - Recaro don't list the Caddy or the Touran on their fitment guides - and I've already got some Touran consoles for them. Fingers crossed they all fit as I've been waiting for 6 weeks for the subframes to be made (it seems Recaro make these to order).

And a good clean today so Ed can put some pics of the progress up on the APS facebook page.

On a side note, I know others have mentioned this but I'm getting a constant knocking noise from the rear now its lowered, even from really low speeds. As you can see from the pics, its on the standard Caddy leaf hanger at the back so its probably as low as it will be on the KW one. I haven't had a chance to look for the source of the noise and know its likely to be either a loose damper (unlikely as its coming from both sides), an exhaust mount or the arb bushes. Will have a proper look to see if there's any obvious marks where something is hitting.
aa48
100BHP+

Post by aa48 »

That bumper looks vicious!!
Loving this thread. 8)
PhotoPete
100BHP+

Post by PhotoPete »

Bumper looking good, but the man shed behind looks just like what I need!!
Sabbunsingh
Hyper Poster

Post by Sabbunsingh »

95% it will be ur exhaust hitting axle.
V2 front. Mk5 mirrors. Cupra splitter. 8000k Hid. Led side lights and drl. Lowered on mk5 coils and custom shackles. Touran carpet,door cards,plastics,glovebox and seat bases. New caddy steering wheel. Midline cluster. Cruise. Heated mk5 gttdi seats wired and working. Alpine screen. 140 remap. Lots of other little bits.........
cmd7
100BHP+

Post by cmd7 »

Looks well, cant wait to see the final outcome. Im doing the gti front in mine..
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

I saw your thread. It's looking really good! The BMW blue is really nice colour.
cmd7
100BHP+

Post by cmd7 »

Thanks. Yeah its different anyway. I have the bumper primed now so ill have it painted in the morning hopefully!
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

Well its not been a great couple of days. Stuck in waiting for the seats to arrive (only been on order since April!) and Yodel 'lost' them. They're hopefully going to be back in the system this afternoon but had planned on fitting them this weekend.

Good news, my refurbished brake calipers arrived. Bad news, they had a few chips out of the powder coat. Luckily its nowhere too obvious so a touch up will be fine.

I also had to postpone the headlight levelling module fitting as the wiring loom hadn't arrived so now thats getting done next week.

But I've now got a working version of etka so I've been able to find some parts and order them. I've got an undertray for the engine, sound deadening for the bonnet, the Touran style lidded compartment for the top of the dash, and possibly a trim panel for the o/s load area on order.

And the biggest news, well part of it! A Cross wheel arch has arrived!! I've got the n/s front and n/s door section. That means the rest of the bits can't be far behind.

These are just held on for the pics with some paper masking tape but they're only held on permanently with double sided tape. Might need something bit more permanent for me to be happy they don't fall off or get ripped off in a car park.

Hard to see but they don't add huge amount of width so anyone planning to fit them and run 10" wheels will be disappointed!

Managed to fit the undertray. Part numbers for those with 2011 facelift (although its likely to be the same for other years):

Undertray - 1K0 825 237 AG
Speednut x9 - N 909 591 01
Screws x9 - N 103 546 02
M8x20 x3 - WHT 000 729 A

There are 3 bolts at the back into the subframe and although I ordered the correct year parts from etka, they were wrong so I used some M8x25 for the time being and will try and find the correct bolts on etka. I'm not too fussed as its likely I'm having a pre facelift subframe fitted next week to allow the fitting of something else and so its possible the bolts I have are correct for that one.
*EDIT - found them on etka and added to the list

Last edited by dan@biali on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broadmoor
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by broadmoor »

Some nice original mods which is hard to achieve in the Caddy world....not a massive fan of the plastic arches if I'm honest ...But it's still nice to be first :D
tonyhill
Hyper Poster

Post by tonyhill »

Agree with above comment. Van is looking stunning but the arches don't do it for me either. Looks much neater without them I think.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

They're going to be colour coded though which will change the look completely.