Blackberry Life

Show off your caddy
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Re: Blackberry Life

Post by mark1a »

Hello again John, hope all is good, Caddy Maxi Life is a good choice to start a Caddy project with if you’re looking at a leisure vehicle rather than a workhorse. Hopefully my previous wheels will clean up without too much difficulty and wheels always change the look of a vehicle.

As you see I tried both types, the Climair ones I had first looked great, but would sometimes fall off. The Heko ones are cheaper and in my opinion the fastening clips are better and so far they’ve stayed in place perfectly.

For the seat blanking, basically I don’t bother with anything for the 2nd row as they’re in and out often or folded forwards. More importantly however, I’ve permanently removed the 3rd row, and seatbelts. The mushroom bolts that fix the 3rd row in leave holes to outside and I was concerned about exhaust fumes entering the cabin so I simply bought 4x M10 bolts to go back in the holes and it’s been like that ever since.

Good luck with the van, feel free to get in touch or post on here with anything else.
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Not much going on at the moment other than the Caddy is going in for cam belt / water pump change and service this week.

Probably a bit early for cam belt on 50k miles but it's 4 years old now and no point in regretting eeking out a few thousand extra miles on a cam belt when stuck by the roadside.

Also renewed insurance today, went down by £100 for dropping mileage from 16k to 10k per annum, so that's £310 for me aged 52, no accidents, no convictions, DT3 postcode, full protected NCD, drive other vehicles, legal cover, all mods declared. I know there's been mixed thoughts about Adrian Flux on here, but this is year 3 with them (Admiral sh*t themselves after the remap) and so far so good.
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
SIMONSNOT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by SIMONSNOT »

Not that I was copying you with getting a blackberry but I’ve also just booked mine in for a service which is Tuesday next week, cambelt and water pump the week after, mines just over 53k and I’ve also just renewed my insurance! All just a coincidence of course! :D
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

:shock:
kneecap
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by kneecap »

Love what you have done with the maxi. I'm wanting to lower and eyeing up the Darkside H&R 45 mm springs and flip kit for my maxi life I think you went 60 mm, but I camp and park in race fields etc. Do you get many issues with the 60mm as your drop looks great.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

@kneecap thanks for posting, I got the H&R front kit from Darkside, and their rear shackle kit.

I don’t really get any issues with being low, it’s probably not much lower than a car, but due to the length sometimes the skirts rub the ground on say a really steep car park ramp. Never felt like it’s been in danger of beaching though. Get the odd scuff on the splitter underside on speed humps as you’d expect. I take mine to campsites and bike events too and no problem there, so long as they’re not ploughed fields, but general event sites and campsites are OK.

I only changed the front springs, flipped the rear axle and left standard front and rear shocks in place as the van was nearly new, however when the shocks need replacing I may look at something uprated as the back is fairly soft on a maxi life.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/ ... 3-mk4.html

This is listed as 40-60mm drop, although mine went down pretty much near on 60mm but as you can see from early photos it looked like a monster truck before.

Basically there wasn’t any adjustment at the front so after fitting, I left it a week or so to settle and then went back and had the rear levelled off on the leaf shackles.

Good luck!
kneecap
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by kneecap »

That's Bob on. Cheers for the info. They're the springs I meant. I thought you might have got the 60mm Eibach ones. Don't know where I got 45mm from! Mine is a 65 plate but I'll keep the shocks too for a bit. I have a standard maxi ( need to sell it) and that is so much lower than the life it makes it look like a tractor. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Not posted much lately, in fact haven't really used the van much, no more commuting and bike events are only just starting up again.

Unfortunately I think the shorter journeys and irregular usage have caused a problem.

I've had a failed NOx sensor in the exhaust, I think this is something to do with the SCR AdBlue system, so the advice to avoid short journeys in a modern diesel engined Euro6 vehicle has some truth to it.

Sensor now replaced, simply remove from exhaust and underside of van, and replace. Part number for my 2017 2.0TDI is 04L907805N.

mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Just got the van back from the bodyshop, I had a problem with the rear bumper strip (genuine VAG) rubbing against the bottom of the tailgate - this over a period of time had taken the paint off and had started to rusty. Of course once the bumper strip was removed, the whole rear bumper needed to be repainted. So, I've had the tailgate repaired and painted along with the rear bumper, and while it was there, got a few stone chips on the bonnet repaired, and then the whole bonnet resprayed. Overall, this was not a cheap way to begin the year, but it needed doing and would only have got worse.

I also got some TRC rear spats fitted to match the front splitter, these weren't always available for the mk4 LWB Maxi, they are now.

Last edited by mark1a on Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

On another note, the van is going to VW tomorrow to investigate the AdBlue light not going out after filling, from what I've read, I'm dreading the possible outcome :shock:
Nath&Alex
Caddy Fan

Post by Nath&Alex »

Looks nice buddy 👍🏻
2012 Caddy 1.6 TDI Match, lowered with Stance+ coilovers and 18“ John Brown steel wheels
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Thanks - hopefully I'll be picking up again on van mods this year, after not doing anything on it or even using much it for a couple of years.