Caddy Maxi MTB/Day Van

Show off your caddy
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Caddy Maxi MTB/Day Van

Post by davecamus »

Hey all! Just bought a Caddy Maxi 2014 2.0l, looking to convert into a day van/MTB camper. Went for the larger maxi as seems like it will give me a bit more room. Going away to Europe next year for three weeks riding so starting the conversion now.

Bits done so far
- sound deadening side panels/sliding doors
- Insulation in - foam foil, then recycled plastic, then foam foil to seal. Yet to look at the roof and floor.

- ply lined the inside sides and sliding doors, lucky to have a parent with a woodworking business!! Made a real neat job of these I think. Getting carpeted at the weekend.

Next jobs are sound deadening and insulate floor and roof, and lay 12mm ply down on the floor with a covering of altro floor. Carpet all woodwork and metalwork..Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Liam
Hyper Poster

Re: Caddy Maxi MTB/Day Van

Post by Liam »

welcome to caddy2k look forward to seeing your progress
2016 2.0 Tdi Mk4 Trendline caddy 160bhp
Remapped by Joe Power at TDR.ie www.tdr.ie
Build thread here
http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34976
mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Subscribed - welcome, look forward to seeing what you do.
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

Thanks guys, took a lot of inspiration from projects here and here on this forum and piecing together something that suits me! Updates at the weekend and more photos...
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

So bit of work done this evening..

Roof liner out, going to make a new one of 4mm ply and cut holes for led downlights and remove the stock inside light because it's pretty ugly. Filled the cavity with recycled plastic insulation, bits of it in my eyes now, should have worn specs!

Main thing on the van is that i want to make it flexible in what I'm doing so most things I've done so far are easily removable so if I wanted electrics to run or more lights etc it's not a huge job.

Last of my roll of sound deadening mat down, didn't have quite enough to do the whole floor so just did it so it will support the floor I'm going to cut tomorrow. Hopefully will be a lot better. Again floor is going to be bolted down to the 4 shackle points so that it could be removed if I feel its a bit cold I can put some more insulation down. For now I've ran out so will just see.

Finally put some climair wind deflectors in, super easy to install! My alternative to cutting a hole for a vent in the van, again something I didn't want to alter the van too much. It's my daily driver and plan to have it for around 4 years before getting a new one

More updates tomorrow!

davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

So a fair bit done today..

New roof lining made of 4mm ply cut and installed. Holds the insulation I put in last night a lot better. Will be coming out at some point to be lacquered and a vinyl print stuck on it, as well as some recessed LEDs going in.

ImageImage

Floor also done 12mm ply- template made of cardboard then ply cut out. Used the lashing mounts to bolt the floor down, avoiding unsightly holes to access lashing points. Used the offcuts to do the small sections where the cupholders were and screwed into the existing holes for those.

ImageImage

Altro flooring to glue to the ply tomorrow and cut holes for the lashing points through it. Then a bit of carpeting! It's really starting to come together.

davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

So big day today getting stuff done.

Altro floor measured out and cut to size. Used some trimfix, and let it dry and then cut round the edge with a knife whilst the floor was out of the van.

ImageImageImage

Carpeted the rear doors and put the extra long panel pins in from megavanmats, seen really good and look smart with the dark grey floor.

ImageImage

Carpeted the wheel arches whilst the floor and side panel was out. Made a really nice job I think!

Managed to carpet one of the side panels, and the door panels. My brother helped and made some inserts for the doors to avoid the void in there created near the handle. Carpeted these up and look really neat but didn't manage to get a good photo as the light was going. I'll get an updated pic tomorrow!

Next steps are LED lights in, roof liner out and a big map of whistler, Canada printed and installed, and dimmer switch on the uncarpeted panel.

Then leisure battery, charging ports and bike axle rack...

davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

So fair bit of work done over the weekend - carpet panel fitted, looks really smart with the floor! Also carpeted the rear metalwork around the barn door locks

Bit of a detailed photo on the ply door cards fitted, nice little inset for the door handle, made from ply and carpeted up

Bike rack made for two bikes, piece of offcut from the floor, tnutted and carpeted. Slight angle on the seasucker mounts just to make it a little easier to mount up. Rubber pads on the bottom to stop it sliding about but it's such a neat fit between the arches anyway it's not going anywhere!

Hooks put in for tarpaulin - this hangs on the side wall just if you're shoving a bike in with wheels on stops the carpet getting muddy! Multi function for shopping bags etc too.

ImageImage

Finally had a go at smoking the rear lights and indicators - had some experience invisiframing bike frames so this was a similar technique... I don't think we did too bad for a first go!

ImageImageImageImage

Next is fit LEDs and three way rocker switches....

Calamity Kev
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Calamity Kev »

Looks like your builds coming along nicely. I especially like the idea for the bike mount you've made which i'll probably be stealing for mine :lol:
Ride Bikes Drink Beer
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

I think once lights and carpet are in it'll look a lot more towards 'finished'!

I need to think of a way of tying it down if needed so the bike is secure- thinking of clipping it to the lashing points!
davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

So a little bit of work done this weekend...

VanX curtains fitted, seem decent but screws that came with them were truly dire, used some of the spare I had left from fitting the ply line instead. Was going to plan to tint the rear windows also but to be honest when they're shut from a distance it's hard to tell whether it's tint or curtain!

Then out to mam tor to test out the sleeping capabilities, first night was pretty decent but obviously a few bits left to finish... Entered some PMBA enduros too for next year so got a proper deadline to get bits done by..

More work next weekend - Split charge in, roof lining sprayed with lacquer, LEDs install and switch install on the side...

davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

More work done this weekend and last weekend..

Battery holder made, solid beech, properly sturdy. Managed to squeeze a fairly big battery I was given under the passenger seat, and route the split charge cable through with the main loom into the engine bay via passenger footwell.

ImageImage

Got a small mounting plate in there too so all electrics are slightly annoying to access at the moment due to bulkhead but when this is out this will help. Looks really neat. Have put a switch fuse on the leisure battery cable so fuse box can be isolated if needed, and planning to do the same on the split charge.

The main bit done this weekend was getting the roof lining back in with the LED lights. I'd got a map of all the MTB trails in Whistler printed out on vinyl, and then basecoated the new roof liner to allow it to stick properly. Nerve wracking putting that big a vinyl graphic on for the first time but all went smooth.

ImageImage

LEDs got installed and a two way switch out on so can be operated from passenger side sliding door or rear doors.

Image andImage

Contracted out as well this weekend with my newfound van converting abilities and got my friends Vito carpeted too!

ImageImage

Next is carpeting my last panel, and installing a charge point at the rear for bike wash use, and lowering....Image

Tellings
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tellings »

Nice van and nice work. Keep the pics coming!
16 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI 75+++ hp
nodeward
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by nodeward »

Looking good mate, love the Whistler Map roof lining ! What split charger are you going for? Assuming yours has a smart alternator like mine and I'm struggling to find anything not mega expensive

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

davecamus
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by davecamus »

Its a VSR that i got off ebay - I don't have a smart alternator because apparently that's only on the bluemotion ones - me is a startline. Mine seems to be charging okay through this. I need to fit a voltmeter and go round it all with the multimeter but appears to be working fine..