My ex British Gas conversion

Show off your caddy
Speedygonzales
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: My ex British Gas conversion

Post by Speedygonzales »

Do you power to the back in these ex gas vans ?
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by robblowen »

@Speedygonzales what do you mean mate, for the camera or just in general? There was 12v wiring all over the van, for working lights and sockets but I stripped out anything that was factory fitted. I've run my own supply to the back now for leisure battery, lighting, etc. As for the camera I took a feed from the ignition live buzz bar in the cab fuse box.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

More progress today, I managed to get the auxiliary socket wired in, in front of the gear stick.

Fitted the gas vent and carpeted the off side wheel arch box top.

Fitted and wired in my W8 light, thanks to TommyZoom for the loom, I'll get some better photos in the dark.

Also fitted my battery box to help smarten up the engine bay.

The van is an absolute state at the minute, inside and out. It's been getting a lot of use over the easter holidays, kids, bikes, peak district, seaside, climbing, tip runs and DIY. So it's in desperate need of a good deep clean, I'll get on it this weekend.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Battery box and clean engine bay.ImageImageImageImage

charlie-
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by charlie- »

robblowen wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:53 amThe only downside I've noticed is the press studs rattle when driving, it's only quietly and other people in the van havent noticed. It'll drive me mad though so I've been looking at solutions, I read about melting a tiny bit of wax into the centre which holds them together better, but I might try something a bit more permanent and try a drop super glue?
I’ve noticed this with the ones I fitted too, it’s driving me crazy! Did the glue fix it? Please say yes 🤣
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

@charlie- I've not had a chance to try it yet but it's still near the top of my list! I've been working on a few other bits, but should hopefully get a chance to test it this week! I'll let you know.

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Finished my spot lights this morning, 2 x 60w led light bars fitted inside the lower grill. I've wired them through a 3 way switch fitted into one of the blanks in front of the dash, just temporarily until I can find something more OEM looking. Made a short breakout loom that fits between the van and the headlight bulb, this gives a main beam feed to the relay without breaking into the van's original wiring. Position 1 - on with main beam, Position 2 - off, Position 3 - on. I'll see how bright they are and whether the angles need adjusting on the way home tonight.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Got highline clocks, steering wheel control module and trip/cruise stalks coded in by Eddie-NL. Top bloke and he did it in no time. Really changes the feel of the van to drive. It gets more like a car with every little job!ImageImage

charlie-
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by charlie- »

If you don’t mind sharing how much did that cost? I’m going to be racking up the miles in my caddy driving to the Lakes/Peaks so regularly and properly missing cruise control.
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

So finally got round to super glueing the press studs on the Van X curtains I fitted a few weeks ago. Its definitely cured the rattle, hopefully it lasts. I found the best way to cure it while still letting the press studs work was to put a small drop of glue on the spring opposite the gap/join. This way it is fixed in place but can still act as a spring to hold the press studs shut.ImageImage

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Got the rear speakers fitted and wired in as well. Decided to change where I located them front inside the rear doors to just behind the rear seats. This makes the sound better and meant the were easier to mount. Really improves the quality of sound in the van!Image

DickyFraser
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by DickyFraser »

That beer is well deserved after that build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

@DickyFraser cheers man, it's getting there slowly!

robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

Had a play around on VCDS this morning, managed to activate TPMS, teardrop wiper function and DRL off when indicating.

gingerrob
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by gingerrob »

sorry to go back a bit on your build but how did you mount the seat belts ends on the floor under the step please?

I have searched and searched but cannot find a solution but your excellent build (which i will be referring to as i build mine :-) ) seems to have do what i want to do so any advice appreciated please.