Knocking, rear left only.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
John M
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Knocking, rear left only.

Post by John M »

64 plate 1.6 highline, standard suspension on 17 alloys all factory standard and ive developed a light knocking not at speed or under load just trundling along on not really bad roads either, ive done the ARB bushes and the connecting rods and the shocks seem ok tbf. any ideas anyone? its like theres a largfe bolt tapping on the chassis...
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Re: Knocking, rear left only.

Post by Barbel330 »

If you checked all the various bushes then my money would be on the shock. You could swap them side to side and see if the noise follows.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
John M
Twin Turbo poster

Post by John M »

I had the same knocking rattling on my last van and put new shocks on and it wasnt that, changed the pads thought it was that but it wasnt. could my ARB be worn out at 100,000 miles?
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

I have a rattle too I’ve done arb links bushes , shocks , pads , I thought I’d sussed it yesterday I found that if I thumped the fuel tank I got a rattle that sounded just like it , if your lying under the back of the van looking up at the tank to your right side there is a brake pipe and sensor wire that disappears over the tank the brake pipe was sat on the tank , RESULT. No it’s still there 😡.
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

I had a minor annoying knocking, so asked my mate to drive a van while I sat in the back, trying to locate where the knocking coming from. And it turned out to be the bottom barn door catch. Adjusted it by 0.5mm and the knocking gone.
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

Ohhh I’m on it , did it knock just rolling, I can just roll down my road which believe it or not has no potholes and it will knock, very slight but constant , I’m gonna check wheel bearings too I think , doing me head in 🤨
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
John M
Twin Turbo poster

Post by John M »

Peely we are both in the same boat, knocking wise, yours sounds the same as mine. It is doing my head in too.
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

I’m gonna get my missed to drive it and I’m getting in the back , I’m 100% sure mine is not bump related
John M
Twin Turbo poster

Post by John M »

i banged on the petrol tank and think i got the sound, anyone know what runs above the tank?
John M
Twin Turbo poster

Post by John M »

Did anyone get to the bottom of this ? fitted standard height Bilsteins yesterday and its a bit more pronounced, old shocks were shagged,...is there a known sender unit problem ?
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

I’m actually thinking it is my shocks, when I fitted my gaz rears I noticed play in the bottom bush /sleeve, this was before tightening the nut , I’m thinking my bushing is wrong from new , gonna see if I can get some bushes/sleeves for them .
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

Well I think I may have found what I thought was a rattle, after having a full day replacing my struts top mounts I had another day phaffing with the back end tightening bolts replacing bolts and bushes to no avail I have gaz adjustable shocks on the back so there I am bouncing the back for about an hour and had a thought , loosen the adjustment right off , and hay presto noise goes , increased adjustment noise comes back so my noise is the piston action of the shocks, so why doesn’t everyone have this , is it the way my van is set , I’m in the 4th hole up from the road if you get my meaning, do you think I need to drop it some more. Can anyone shine some light on this , thanks , sorry I am axle flipped with shackles 👍
Craig Cheatham
200BHP+

Post by Craig Cheatham »

Hi Peely, just a thought, when you fitted the Gaz shocks did you tighten the bolts up with the full weight of the the van on the dampers or was it jacked up with the wheels off the ground?
Now remapped to 145 BHP
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

Hi mate yeh it was full weight, and it’s still knocking 🙈, it does it as soon as I roll , wheel bearings are good ,
John M
Twin Turbo poster

Post by John M »

I still havent found out what the noise is, I take it you havent too peely?..going back on the lift tomorrow for the 10th time, remove the tank see whats around it.