Can you put leaf springs on backwards?!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Drewcole
100BHP+

Can you put leaf springs on backwards?!

Post by Drewcole »

Random one to which I can't really find a definitive answer to that is related to the Caddy and not the America land barge Cadi...

Since lowering my Maxi Life one of the sides sits slightly lower, I have the 8 hole rear shackles to fit now but have a feeling that the drivers side spring might be on backwards as from measuring the wheels are not even in either arch too...

The passenger side sits further back than the drivers, but they are both on the same holes on the flip kit, which leads me to think if the leaf spring pins are not central then there must be a correct way round to fitting them?

Any ideas of comments would be helpful to solve my crab like Caddy out!

Thanks, Drew.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Re: Can you put leaf springs on backwards?!

Post by dan@biali »

Just looking at photos online of the springs then I would say yes, it looks like its possible they need to go a certain way as the pin isn't central. Whether its possible to then put the bushes in the wrong holes and bolt it all up I have no clue!

fiolek67
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by fiolek67 »

Please check Your axle flip kit.
Might installed the other way. I had mine installed the other way ending up with the rear tyres rubbing into inner fender plastics.
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

@foilek67 how do you mean installed the other way?
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

To update this for anyone searching for the same thing:

Foilek67 mentioned installing the kit backwards, this is actually what I had done and I'll try to explain this below for anyone that may have the same issue.

The relocating plates shown in the below picture are the ones from Darkside Developments, they have the ability to relocate the axle back to central if you are lowering by a fair amount, whereas some kits you need to add an additional centralizing plate.

As you can see there is an offset hole in the plate where you can slot the leaf spring locating pin into, what you need to be careful of is to ensure both the plates are fitted in the same orientation either side.... which is where I fell down..

On one side I had the off-set hole facing towards the rear of the car and used that hole to locate the pins and the other side the offset hole was 180 degrees facing toward the front.
I then ensured the leaf pins where in the 'same' hole either side and done it all up, this results in the axle being at an angle, a horrible vibration, the car driving like a crab, inside of the tyres taking a beating and the arch liner taking a hammering.

My suggestion to anyone fitting a kit would be to mark the front edge of the kit prior to fitting to ensure it is correct, after a day of laying on your back and trying to lower the Caddy on the drive mistakes are easy to make, so prep work before to hopefully save anyone from making the same mistake would be an idea.
fiolek67
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by fiolek67 »

Thanks @drewcole for the explanation. Happen to me when the hole pin align too far back. After a day od driving. I could smell burnt plastic. End up inner fender plastic was rubbing into my tyres.