Throttle cutting out

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Goodwin_caddy03
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Throttle cutting out

Post by Goodwin_caddy03 »

Just wondering if anyone could help. Recently my throttle has been cutting out while driving and becomes totally unresponsive, and then only returns once I’ve pressed the clutch? Assuming it maybe dodgy electrics/bad connections but not 100% sure? Has anyone had a similar problem or know what it could be?
Van has not got stop/start
Cheers
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Throttle cutting out

Post by BenT »

It might be that the clutch pedal position switch is failing - I believe the engine control unit detects when the clutch has been depressed and reduced fueling momentarily to prevent the engine racing on clumsy gear changes... If it's falsely registering this while you're driving then this could cause your symptoms. On my Caddy, the switch is integral with the clutch master cylinder and the wiring's under the bonnet rather than in the footwell. You could try disconnecting it and see what happens, but it would would likely put the flashing glow plug light on. If it cures the problem you may need a new master cylinder/switch (don't worry, it's not a particularly difficult job. Just fiddly).