Sound proofing

Show off your caddy
xtrnisse
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Sound proofing

Post by xtrnisse »

Hi!

I recently bought a Caddy Maxi that I'll be using when renovating a house up north of Sweden. So I'll be commuting 250 km every time i go there in the weekends. To make that trip a bit more bearable I'm thinking to improve the sound insulation a bit.

As I'm still using the car as a "carpenters" van (even if i am by no means a carpenter), the bulkhead is staying in. What kind of sound proofing / deadening shall i do to get the most bang for the buck...?

Has anyone done any actual measurements of the sound before/after? How many dB's improvement are we talking about?

Which material is best to use? Which part of the car gives off the most noise? If it's the back, can i get away with just slapping some sound insulation on the bulkhead, or do i have to do the whole thing? Is that even possible without damaging the material if i still use it to throw around building materials / tools?

What's your experience?
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Sound proofing

Post by the swan fiend »

You need something like silent coat to go on first. Pay particular attention to the wheel arches as a lot of noise comes through these. Next, something like DodoMat super liner will help.
I found when doing mine, there’s is no one product that does it all. It’s a combination. I wouldn’t bother with the bulkhead as it’s plastic and therefore not sonorous. Doing the floor of the cabin will help too.
Also consider your tyres, I always try to buy a good brand with a lower road noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
xtrnisse
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by xtrnisse »

Sorry for being a total newbie... but when you say "silent coat", you mean something like the Dodo DeatMat, right?
And then on top of that, Dodo Super Liner? The videos I've watched always seem to have these two layers. :)

Didn't think about the cabin floor... are you then talking about the footwells, or the space underneath/behind the seat?

Tyre-wise I'll definately look at that for my summer tires... winter time I'm pretty stuck with spiked tires if i want to get up any hills. :lol:
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Yes, dead mat is the same thing as silent coat. It’s 2 brand names for a similar product.

As you say, super liner on top of that. Don’t forget to clean the metal of the van with alcohol wipes first for good adhesion.

Yes do the whole cab floor if you can, no point leaving a gap in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me