Our Caddy / Camper / Day van

Show off your caddy
Oggy172
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Oggy172 »

Good afternoon all,
Will update this as we make changes to it, but we've tried to utilise it as a camper but retain the 'van' aspect of it.

It's currently sitting on some coilovers (cant remember which ones she bought!), 330mm Forge Motorsport brake conversion, remapped, Golf R steering wheel with flappy paddles :lol:

The 'box' that acts as a bed

and it managed to fit in the worlds biggest magnolia & a wheelchair

Next up is a Bi-Xenon conversion and a split relay charger - not looking forward to that!!
Jonhall
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Our Caddy / Camper / Day van

Post by Jonhall »

Tidy van! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses Image

If the van is Euro 6 (and has a ‘smart’ alternator), you won’t be able to use a voltage sensitive relay for split charging. Instead, a DC-DC (battery to battery) charger is required to manage the charging of the auxiliary battery. Lots of options available from Victron, CTEK, Sterling etc but they are costly compared to a simple VSR set up on an older van.

Loads of info here to get you started: https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/kc-split-charging.html

The cable routing from the engine bay into the cabin is easier than you might think Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MkIV (2017) Caddy Maxi Highline 2.0TDi 150bhp DSG
Oggy172
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Oggy172 »

Thanks!
Although a 66 plate, it’s not a bluemotion- not sure if that makes it euro5 by default?
I believe this is a byproduct of the dsg gearbox, the model description is suffixed with s-a where manuals don’t appear to be.

Any way of checking on the vehicle physically to know if i can just use a VSR?
Jonhall
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Jonhall »

Have you run the reg through a CAZ/ULEZ checker? If it’s exempt from charges, it’s almost certainly Euro6.

That said, I don’t think you can use a VSR with a Euro5 engine either for the same reason (highly variable voltage off the alternator) but I haven’t researched that in as much detail as mine is Euro6 (2017 2.0 TDi 150 DSG, not BlueMotion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MkIV (2017) Caddy Maxi Highline 2.0TDi 150bhp DSG
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Does it have adblue?

How do you like the brakes? It's time for me to upgrade mine.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
Oggy172
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Oggy172 »

No it doesn’t have adblue, but is fully ULEZ compliant.

The brakes are fantastic! Albeit expensive & not much by way of competition for pricing!
I’d probably opt for a VAG bbk for that reason but I can’t complain about the quality.
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Post by Scoobysrt »

Cheers dude 8)
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
enk005
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by enk005 »

Nice looking van.

Mine is also a 2016 with no adblue and is ulez and clean air zone compliant.
cyderspace
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by cyderspace »

This is exactly what I would like to do to mine. Did you make the storage/bed unit yourself? Nice flooring pattern design too. Where did that come from?
Oggy172
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Oggy172 »

cyderspace wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:30 pm This is exactly what I would like to do to mine. Did you make the storage/bed unit yourself? Nice flooring pattern design too. Where did that come from?

She got the box from ebay, was fairly cheap tbh but she wants to get one from evo design now... Seller :
https://m.ebay.co.uk/seller?sid=mrcncman

We had custom dims made up, Width 117cm x Depth 80cm x Height 45cm.

The vinyl flooring came from here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112499464516
Oggy172
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Oggy172 »

I've now been told that leather seats are far more important than xenons ('cos it's bright)
So now I need to source some that look new and also fit them.
I'm still off work after my operation, so now is the time to look to do it, she's also back home in Poland, so there's an even bigger expectation 😂

Of course, every seat I find isn't good enough, or too expensive.
I don't have this issue with my 911, I just buy whatever i want, I'm far less fussy!