Oh deer!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Bjd198
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Oh deer!

Post by Bjd198 »

So this happened today Image Bloody deer ran out in the road as I was travelling 60mph.. absolutely devastated to say the least. Really hoping it’s not a write off. Looks like mostly body damage to, can’t see any structural damage, but need to wait to see the insurers say!

Never felt pain like it ha!

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Oh deer!

Post by Doc »

Gutted for you.
That will be an easy repair for someone.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Corkie
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CNG (107bhp)

Post by Corkie »

Ouch!
Birds cars beer!
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

Just a thought if you love this van and didn't want a different one.

If it's just a wing, bumper and light is it worth seeing how much to get repaired with second hand parts?

The insurance excess and increased premiums (even when you have NCB protection) might be similar to that cost!
DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

With the cost of parts I won't be surprised if your insurance company writes this off.
Pity you had to go this route.
If finances dictated, you may have been able to get the parts you needed, fitted and painted as and when.
Gutted for you though mate.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

Definitely oh dear
I've been told if you've mentioned it to the insurance company and end up doing it yourself to save money its still put down as a mark against you as its still an accident whether its your fault or not
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
Bjd198
Caddy Fan

Post by Bjd198 »

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, nothing like a damaged Caddy to bring people together.

I wouldve preferred to repair it myself over time, but as it’s my daily and I need it for transport to work every day, I needed something sorted quickly, and limited funds and time to sort a quick repair meant insurance was unfortunately the only option.

Still want to keep the van though, I love the thing. Does anyone know how likely it will be that, if it is written off, they will let me buy it back and repair it over time?

Ben

Treevaldo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Treevaldo »

oh my god :shock: :shock:

must of been some size
Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

As long as you tell them you want it back that shouldn't be a problem when the tree fell on my van they paid me out and I had to pay between 25 to 30% of the value I was hoping it was a couple hundred quid but I had to pay just over 3 grand
Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
kryton85
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by kryton85 »

That sucks. At least all humans involved are ok. Mate just had his written off & was told to keep it (not even given option). With availability of parts, things are getting written off really easily at the minute as cost for hire vehicle is bonkers if takes a couple of months to get parts. Should be quick & easy enough to source used parts & get repaired though looking at pictures as seems like a bolt on repair
Caddy MK4 highline. Scirocco heated leather with electric lumbar & full elec drivers seat. ESP/ ASC button & coded. TPMS button & coded (ABS version). Carpet & insulation rear & Touran front carpet. Custom bulkhead. Tints. Front splitter. Side bars. 197hp map (on rolling road). Bi-xenons. Wireless charger. Laser grill led lights. Ambient lighting. Coilovers. Colour coded bump strips. Reverse camera. Front & rear sensors
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Gutted to see any caddy damaged like that mate
Obviously, it’s hard to see from the photos what other damage has been done behind the visible damage, but I’d like to add my 2p worth.

You can get pattern part bumpers from eBay for about £100, I’ve just seen an aftermarket headlight for £95 too. I’ve also seen a wing for £80 that’s unpainted. The splash guard could be fitted later on.

If you can get those parts, and the old ones come off ok I reckon you could sort it in a weekend. Might not be pretty but it’ll work.

I hope you get sorted soon mate.

Rescue me from the swans in me
Sausage
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sausage »

Handyandy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:09 am Definitely oh dear
I've been told if you've mentioned it to the insurance company and end up doing it yourself to save money its still put down as a mark against you as its still an accident whether its your fault or not
That’s my understanding of it as well, something to do with disclosure apparently, some times it’s worth just taking it on the chin and getting on with it.

Sorry to hear about the van buddy.
Bjd198
Caddy Fan

Post by Bjd198 »

So more than a month later, I finally have a resolution to this. But to say it’s been an awful experience is an understatement!

My insurance company appointed Copart early on, as the pictures suggested it could be a salvage job (apparently).
After waiting 4 days, I rang them asking what was going on, as no one had arranged to collect the van for assessment.. there response was that they had forgot to arrange collection! So after losing nearly a week straight off, I told them to do a desktop assessment instead to try and speed it up.

Another week later I got a report back saying it was a category S write off, but sure of structural damage to the crash member, chassis leg and inner wing support! I was gobsmacked! You couldn’t even see those parts from the pictures! I had inspected the van and could confidently see that none of those parts were damaged. They also claimed there was damage to the radiator and cooling pack, steering and suspension parts, wheel and tyre etc - all of which were perfectly fine.

So after some arguing back and forward between insurance and copart, they eventually agreed to collect the van to do a second proper assessment. Another 10 days passed before that assessment was actually done. All the while I have had no car, as the insurers will only provide a courtesy car while the vehicle is being repaired, not while it’s being assessed.

Anyway, long story short, second assessment determined that the van was a Cat N write off with no structural damage. So after another argument about the value (an argument I won!) they increased there settlement offer and I have bought the van back, and it is being returned to me to repair myself.

So after going through insurance to get a speedy and cost effective repair to what looked like fairly simple body work, I’ve been without a van for over a month, and I’ve still got to repair itself anyway! Only positive is that the payout has enabled me to buy another car, which I planned on doing later this year anyway, so I now own two vehicles instead if one!

Time to start ordering parts to crack on with the repair.

Ben

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

With hindsight, I bet you wished you’d have just done the repair yourself and said nothing to the insurance company. I doubt the deer would have told them!

Rescue me from the swans in me
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

That explains how Copart get their damaged repairable cars from.

Shame that another good vehicle gets a scrapped category marker but at least someone will benefit from a good Caddy when it's done.

I hope your excess and increased premiums are not too high and in the end it works to your advantage.