Engine conversion

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
OxCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Engine conversion

Post by OxCaddy »

So,

I have a 1.6 cr

I’m contemplating doing a conversion in the summer not 100 percent sure on what I want to throw in there but 100 percent want to stay with a diesel- maybe a pd or somthing tuneable

What engines have you guys put into your 1.6 CRs?

What’s the easiest? What’s the most tuneable? What to avoid?

Cheers!
Unknown User
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Engine conversion

Post by Unknown User »

The 1.6Cr (75) is very tuneable in itself and able to pump to 150bhp and 230 ish Ft-Lbs (110kw / 320nm in Euros).
Just putting it out there for you to ponder on.
Cheers.
Unknown
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Bahnstormer »

The "easiest" is probably what I did - a 2.0 TDi from a Touran along with the 6 speed box. It's much better than the old 1.6 with a 5 speed and it's almost a straight swap if you can read a wiring diagram.

If it's something you're thinking of doing, you'll need the engine (obviously), engine loom, ECU, CAN gateway, ignition key and clocks to make it really easy. You'll also need VCDS as you'll need to code some bits. You could do it without the keys and clocks but then you'd need someone to sort out the immobiliser in your van. I was lucky enough to find a complete donor vehicle for relatively low money, so I just swapped it all over.

As for tuning, it all depends how much you want to throw at it :lol: I know Darkside have (or had, not sure if they've still got it) a 2.0 CR running near 300bhp.

I think most people prefer to convert to the petrol engines (TFSI, 3.2 etc.) but like you, I wanted to stay diesel.
OxCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by OxCaddy »

Bahnstormer wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:46 pm The "easiest" is probably what I did - a 2.0 TDi from a Touran along with the 6 speed box. It's much better than the old 1.6 with a 5 speed and it's almost a straight swap if you can read a wiring diagram.

If it's something you're thinking of doing, you'll need the engine (obviously), engine loom, ECU, CAN gateway, ignition key and clocks to make it really easy. You'll also need VCDS as you'll need to code some bits. You could do it without the keys and clocks but then you'd need someone to sort out the immobiliser in your van. I was lucky enough to find a complete donor vehicle for relatively low money, so I just swapped it all over.

As for tuning, it all depends how much you want to throw at it :lol: I know Darkside have (or had, not sure if they've still got it) a 2.0 CR running near 300bhp.

I think most people prefer to convert to the petrol engines (TFSI, 3.2 etc.) but like you, I wanted to stay diesel.
Cheers for the reply and the info mate!

When you say about the wiring what is required to be changed over/chopped into?

I’ve got the kit required for coding so that’s not an issue. I also have the kit for key coding so I’m not sure but maybe could stick with the original keys

What did you do for drive shafts/ uprights etc?

I think a doner vehicle may be a good option…

The power I’m looking for is realistically maybe 200-250 so that should certainly be possible judging by dark sides figures.

How much of the original hardware on the van was usable or did you pretty much transfer everything over from the doner?

Cheers again
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Bahnstormer »

If you're using a Touran, the driveshafts and CV joints are a straight swap. I kept the Caddy suspension as the Touran stuff was in worse condition than what was already on the van.

As for wiring:
  • MAF is 4 pin on the 2.0, 3 on the 1.6.

Lambda sensor wiring will need repinning (plug is the same, pins are a different order).

Alternator wiring is different, hence the need for the CAN gateway from the donor- my Caddy gateway didn't recognise the LIN input from the alternator, even after adding the correct pin. You'll need to run a wire from the alternator to the gateway.

There's an entire plug missing from the Caddy side of the harness, whic is very important. Without it the van won't run and you'll get error codes for loads of things like the EGR cooler, N75 and auxiliary fuel pump, which reminds me......

The 2.0 uses an auxiliary fuel pump under the bonnet. If this doesn't run, the van won't start, so you'll need to get the relay etc. From your donor car and power from the fusebox under the dash
There's more than likely something that I've forgotten, but I'll also add that VW Erwin is invaluable for things like wiring diagrams.

If you do decide to go ahead with it, feel free to message me and I'll try to help.
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by hef355 »

I’ve fitted a BMN 2.0 tdi engine from a Golf Mk5 gt170 into my daily workhorse 2011 caddy with dsg box.
Cheap generic map and running around 210bhp and 40 to 45mpg
Great drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OxCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by OxCaddy »

Bahnstormer wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:59 pm If you're using a Touran, the driveshafts and CV joints are a straight swap. I kept the Caddy suspension as the Touran stuff was in worse condition than what was already on the van.

As for wiring:
  • MAF is 4 pin on the 2.0, 3 on the 1.6.

Lambda sensor wiring will need repinning (plug is the same, pins are a different order).

Alternator wiring is different, hence the need for the CAN gateway from the donor- my Caddy gateway didn't recognise the LIN input from the alternator, even after adding the correct pin. You'll need to run a wire from the alternator to the gateway.

There's an entire plug missing from the Caddy side of the harness, whic is very important. Without it the van won't run and you'll get error codes for loads of things like the EGR cooler, N75 and auxiliary fuel pump, which reminds me......

The 2.0 uses an auxiliary fuel pump under the bonnet. If this doesn't run, the van won't start, so you'll need to get the relay etc. From your donor car and power from the fusebox under the dash
There's more than likely something that I've forgotten, but I'll also add that VW Erwin is invaluable for things like wiring diagrams.

If you do decide to go ahead with it, feel free to message me and I'll try to help.
Thank you for the info mate I’ll add you on here as I’m sure I’ll have some questions when the time comes!
OxCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by OxCaddy »

hef355 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:53 am I’ve fitted a BMN 2.0 tdi engine from a Golf Mk5 gt170 into my daily workhorse 2011 caddy with dsg box.
Great driveImage

That sounds perfect mate! I’ll start having a look around
OxCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by OxCaddy »

Bahnstormer wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:59 pm I've added you as a friend mate, once i get my post count up ill drop you a PM if thats ok?
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Bahnstormer »

Sure!
OxCaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by OxCaddy »

hef355 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:53 am I’ve fitted a BMN 2.0 tdi engine from a Golf Mk5 gt170 into my daily workhorse 2011 caddy with dsg box.
Great driveImage

I forgot to ask you mate, with the bmn is this pretty much the same as installing the cfh? So ecu, re pin, drive shafts, gear linkage, clocks etc? Once I get my post count up can I pop you over a message cheers
j1_4rkl
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by j1_4rkl »

1.6tdi manual to 2.0Tfsi DSG :D
whisky20111
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by whisky20111 »

Hello All Sorry To Jump on the post I'm about Todo a 2.0 SDI caddy to pd130 engine I have a complete MK4 golf as doner car what exactly do I need to be changing parts wise and wiring ?

Any help or links is much appreciated