Rear wheels severely out of alignment

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Sundo1993
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Rear wheels severely out of alignment

Post by Sundo1993 »

Hi all, I have a 2009 1.9tdi caddy, the rear wheels are severely out of alignment in both toe and camber. The outside edges of the tyres have worn out down to cords in a matter of months it’s that bad. You can literally see how far out the toe and camber is by looking down the back of the van, and I can’t seem to find anything about rear wheel alignment for a caddy on the internet as it’s just a fixed beam?? I can’t get my head around it at all. Anyone else dealt with this?
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Rear wheels severely out of alignment

Post by Lockstock »

someone may have checked up on the centre of the rear beam while the van was loaded. Could have bent it causing neg camber?
Sundo1993
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Sundo1993 »

Well this would make sense as its wearing heavily on the outside edges of the tyres indicating that if it was bent upwards then it would make it do that.. do the axles really bend that easy..?
Last edited by dan@biali on Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

You hear people saying you can bend the rear axle by jacking the van from it. I personally doubt it as it’s a solid bit of metal, plus many a pro mechanic has said it’s safe to do. Obviously, carrying a heavy load and jacking it may not be the best idea! On my wife’s merc, you jack the rear from the diff, that’s in the manual.

Have a look underneath, does it look bent? You’d see it for sure if it was. There’s no adjustment I don’t believe on the rear of the caddy, so I’d look at your leaf springs, shocks, drop links, ARB. Basically everything on the back end to see any signs of something obviously damaged.

Is it lowered at all?

Hope this helps a little mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me