Head unit replacement

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Theanimalcaddy

Head unit replacement

Post by Theanimalcaddy »

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1878857797

Could anybody please tell me if this is a decent price and worth a punt ? Will it go straight in with little effort or need reprogramming ? How would I go about that if I did ?

No worries thanks in advance
Rob1977
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Re: Head unit replacement

Post by Rob1977 »

I dont think 250 for a second hand fake rns510 from a seller with zero feedback is worth a punt to me,no idea on compatability as its not genuine.
Theanimalcaddy

Post by Theanimalcaddy »

Rob1977 wrote:I dont think 250 for a second hand fake rns510 from a seller with zero feedback is worth a punt to me,no idea on compatability as its not genuine.

Thank you dude, :shock: that's sound advice, I genuinely have no idea, it's just that its round the corner from me and thought I'd go for it, is there better out there for less ??

Thanks again, you saved my money dude :roll: I did feel a bit silly asking, glad I did now !!!

No worries
Rob1977
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Post by Rob1977 »

Its obviously a chinese copy of an Rns510 or somthing no idea who has made it,god knows what satnav software is on it. Who knows it could be good but 250 is too much to me with such little knowledge.
spm1801
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by spm1801 »

Chinese version. Quality not bad but maps & functionality not a patch on genuine VW unit.
Realphotos
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Realphotos »

There are a few of these alternative brands out there like Caska and Adayo, I have just installed an Adayo one and works fine. Just make sure it has canbus. Mine did and and also had wiring that plugged straight in. They are about $NZ 500-600 retail, convert that to uk pounds and see if that's close. Over here it's about third to quarter of genuine vw unit.
Hope that helps.
PrePavGav
Hyper Poster

Post by PrePavGav »

Rob1977 wrote:Its obviously a chinese copy of an Rns510 or somthing no idea who has made it,god knows what satnav software is on it. Who knows it could be good but 250 is too much to me with such little knowledge.
It clearly states on the listing that it was made by Witson, it even gives the model number. It clearly states that the sat nav software is IGO8. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Chinese head units are going for as little as £183 now on ebay and come with far more features than a genuine 510 at over 3 times the price. You talk as if being chinese makes it inferior? Have you looked where every smart phone, iphone, tv, laptop etc is manufactured these days? I'd be absolutely amazed if the genuine 510 isn't made in China too by Siemens VDO who actually make the unit!
I'm not here to big up China, but I just wanted to give a bit of balance.
Realphotos
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Realphotos »

I agree with prepavgav, I run igo 8 and works really well here.
wai
200BHP+

Post by wai »

This also looks very much like my Audiosources ANS-610. Yes, it is a Chinese unit and cost me $AU 640.

I did not get the RNS510 because the dealer wanted $4,500 for it fitted when my Caddy was delivered new, and then a further $450 for the Bluetootk option.

Not all the original function of the RCD310 is there as far as the MFD is concerned, but not an issue. The iGo Primo navigation system is excellent, as is the Bluetooth (my primary reasons for getting one).

Getting a secondhand RNS510 is not that straightforward here. On top of that, many (if not most) of those being offered have a high probability of being stolen. If the RNS510 is made for VW, why would the manufacturer then be offering them through other sources at a fraction of the dealer price? Then there is the issue of getting a RNS510 coded for the car, and dealers charge for that again.

I figured I could replace my unit 7 times before I came to the cost of just one RNS510.
PrePavGav
Hyper Poster

Post by PrePavGav »

Yep, I've had no trouble with IGO8. Plus I've got volume, phone answering etc control from the mfsw. Clever little chinese fellows!!
Theanimalcaddy

Post by Theanimalcaddy »

PrePavGav wrote:Yep, I've had no trouble with IGO8. Plus I've got volume, phone answering etc control from the mfsw. Clever little chinese fellows!!

Got a link please dude ?

No worries
PrePavGav
Hyper Poster

Post by PrePavGav »

Mine is a Maisun mt-6501 which is no longer made. Check the Maisun site for the latest version
wai
200BHP+

Post by wai »

For the ANS-610, try http://www.audiosources.net
smartezippo
Hyper Poster

Post by smartezippo »

wai wrote:For the ANS-610, try http://www.audiosources.net
Does this unit show info on the mfd and how about steering wheel buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 1.9TDI, DSG, Factory Appearance pack, Elec Pack, Paddle shifters, multifunction leather wheel, Highline Touran Clocks, Cruise control, Golf mk5 GT seats, Touran Door Cards, Touran front button DSG Shifter, R32 Pedals........
wai
200BHP+

Post by wai »

smartezippo wrote: Does this unit show info on the mfd and how about steering wheel buttons.
The steering wheel controls can be used to change the radio stations, adjust the volume, mute the radio, and call up the mobile phone screen. It does not answer the phone. You have to either set the phone to auto answer, or press the touch screen button to answer and disconnect.

On the MFD, the other functions work OK, however in the audio screen, the currently selected radio station is shown. On the navigation I see that some systems show the turn information on the MFD. The ANS-610 does not (at the moment).

Now a lot of this is fluid because the firmware is under ongoing development.