Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Covid caddy project

Post by fishynos72 »

Hello,

This thread is doubling as my member introduction, not sure if that's allowed or not.

I've owned and worked on VW's for 14 years and have been working as a VW mechanic since I turned 18.
I currently own 4 VW's. My newest is a high kilometre late 2005 1.9TDI SWB manual.

Having bought a house in need of renovation, the point has come where I can't throw construction materials into show/ vintage oriented cars anymore.

The hunt was on for a caddy, I had loan of one a year ago and loved the added room, but golf driving characteristics. Not to mention a lot of "hand me downs" from my golf will help keep costs down.

Speaking of keeping costs down, here I present the $1200 Facebook purchase I mentioned before.

so I made the drive after work to inspect the potential purchase in the rain and dark, not ideal.

It's very rough. All over generally rough and mistreated.

Love the awful shelves and concrete residue :(

And here is the start of why the van was cheap.

This has been previously a work fleet vehicle, and 12 months ago after developing an engine "knock", the business owner was told an engine was required. It's sat unused since.

In reality, a replacement camshaft, and oil cooler is all I currently believe need replacing. Upon further assesment I'm sure that list will grow.

This is meant to be a stock, practical, reliable van, that I'm not meant to get attached to. But I've always wanted a red caddy, and already have some ideas.

I can't believe the cult following these vans have in the UK and I love the quality of builds that breeds. I've enjoyed reading through the forum over the last week and look forward to learning here.

Tomorrow Ill start on my caddy, beginning with the most thorough cleaning it's probably had in 10 years.

Stay tuned for the chaos.
Cheers
How many is too many Volkswagens?
fishynos72
200BHP+

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by fishynos72 »

Today is technically the first day I've spent working on the van. 8:30 till 5pm of steam cleaning madness.

Pretty standard deep clean, bumpers off, wheels off, guard linings out, all lights out.

I don't have before photos of the wheel arches, but as you can imagine there was 290,000kms worth of dirt.

Afterwards though they were red again.

With freshly steamed guard linings installed.

I also removed the seats and door cards for a well overdue clean. But haven't any photos of the aftermath. I'll Include them in my next post

I did some smaller jobs on my list today too.

The owner's manual folder was scrubbed and the ring binder spine pop riveted back to its cover.

The very abused concrete and paint soaked key was also re-housed.

The old

The new

So after a soggy few hours it's all back together ready to cop a hard cut and polish tomorrow.

neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Whereabouts did you get the key housing from, mine really needs the same treatment
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Bought them 5 or so years ago on eBay. I know that's not much help. They were less than $2 a pop and they definitely feel cheap/sharp/rough. I've slowly used them all up on friend's cars.

Given my caddy with 1 key, I'll be ordering another through volkswagen in the coming months.
Last edited by dan@biali on Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Day 2 of the Covid clense.

Removal of the awful roof racks was step one. Due to poor installation they've been leaking water into the van, My guess is that's the cause of the rear headlining being ripped out.

Then it was onto a 3 stage cut, polish and mechanically applied wax.

I skimped on the roof as the clear is peeling so badly I'll have to get it painted.

The passenger door is prepped for its new rub strip. Cost depending I'm looking to replace all the rub strips and external door handles.

I re-dyed the bumpers, mirrors, rub strips and door handles. I've yet to reinstall the mudflaps.

At least it's shiny and a lot of the superficial marks and scratched have been removed. It's still dimpled like a golf ball.

The interior has come a fair way clean wise.

As has the engine bay

The rear cargo area is still average.

Using factory clips and screws I mounted my Golf's old under tray, as I've always felt the caddy's looked unfinished in that area.

Hopefully in 2 weeks I can collect a replacement sliding door, so as to remove the home-job window.

Small steps. Stage 4 Covid lock-down restricts me as most companies are closed. Being on leave gives me the chance to scout of various parts online though.

In 2-3 weeks I should have some more interesting updates.
seketee
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by seketee »

Great post man...can’t wait to see updates .you gave it 50 extra HP .. :D
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
White
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

seketee wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:26 pm Great post man...can’t wait to see updates .you gave it 50 extra HP .. :D
Thank you. Hopefully the weight saved in removed dirt improves the fuel economy too. :D

If you thought this thread wasn't boring enough, Good news. I've converted my weekends escapades into a YouTube video.

Hopefully there's enough interesting things to justify this video, and further videos. (Hopefully my camera work and editing skills improve too).

https://youtu.be/ZaICy4EPLhw

A few smalls items have been ticked off my list, combined with the next 2 weeks worth of plans I have, should make for more variety in the next instalment.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Loving the video!

Your camera skills are much better than mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
seketee
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by seketee »

Love the video dude keep it up .
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
White
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

C Chis wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:45 pm Loving the video!

Your camera skills are much better than mine! Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, I hope it's entertaining, and each episode gets better quality wise.
seketee wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 am Love the video dude keep it up .
Thank you, I appriciate the comment on YouTube.

Small update;

The mk5 GTI wheels needed 2 17" tyres replaced for a roadworthy. Given I'm not planning to run those wheels afterwards.
These stock caddy 15" wheels and 4 month old tyres for $50 was a lot better of a deal.

They'd been sitting in the rain for the last month and needed a seriously good scrub.

De-mounted the tyres, wheel weights and valves. Chemically paint stripped them, then dusted them over with a factory style silver coat.

They spent an hour in the oven baking.

Not perfect, but not bad for an idiot with a spray can.

Gave the tyres a hard scrub before mounting them onto the wheels.

It's so painfully stock looking! I've even some caddy hubcaps on their way. :roll:

I'd love to run these tiguan caps, but can't justify the cost.

Also got the factory mudflaps re-fitted after their clean up.

And test fitted the RCD unit out of my golf.

Coded it and set it up for the caddy speakers but can't leave it installed until I replace the CAN gateway with a later unit, so as to avoid the battery drain issue.

Just need a MFSW, column module and some stalks and it'll all be integrated nicely. That wont be for a while yet, next priority is the required mechanical work.
Phillstine
Caddy2k Groupie

Covid caddy project

Post by Phillstine »

Loving the changes already! Amazin what a good clean and freshen up of the wheels can do eh!

I've recently just acquired a late 05 model too so will be watching closely for inspiration!
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate. You’ve really smartened the van up. You’d never know it had been previously neglected. Top work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Phillstine wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:04 pm Loving the changes already! Amazin what a good clean and freshen up of the wheels can do eh!

I've recently just acquired a late 05 model too so will be watching closely for inspiration!

Thanks, bright silver wheels definitely smarten up a car. It's a shame it has to go back on stock wheels for the roadworthy inspection.

Keep us updated on your 05, they've a few quirks about them here in Australia as they're the first batch of caddys we had delivered.

the swan fiend wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:52 am Hi mate. You’ve really smartened the van up. You’d never know it had been previously neglected. Top work Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The photos don't quite capture the whole story. Once some of the dints have been pushed out, some of the missing/broken pieces replaced, and some of the ruined paintwork inside and on-top of the van are sorted, it'll at least be respectable. I'm just trying to make it not look like an abandoned vehicle.
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Progress finally.

Found a 'wreaking yard' not far from me, with this amongst it's stock.

This poor doomed caddy gave up it's virgin sliding door, fuel flap and headlining.

I made quick work of fitting all the above.

The mismatched colours are unfortunate. Hopefully get that fixed when I have the roof sprayed.

Here, as I threatened is episode 2, Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/wF66r9He6Wk
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Factory hubcaps, and later revision can gateway fitted today

It's now completely stock in appearance. The RCD carplay radio being it's only "modification".

Dropped into work to price up the next round of repairs and maintenance. Hopefully once the boring stuff is over the more interesting things I have planned can begin fairly quickly.

I drove the caddy home tonight, my first time driving it and even with the bad camshaft it drove pretty well for a 290,000km old car. Need to save up some coin before I can go any further. Though I do have some online purchases in transit...

Update:

While I understand volkswagen cutting costs on their commercial vehicles, the wimpy horn fitted to caddys bothered me.
Que a VW golf twin horn setup

See how much smaller the stock horn is compared with the golf ones?

And because I didn't want to waste anything, I left the factory horn wired up as well. So tri-tone horns it is.