VW Navigation Update

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
MFT
Caddy Fan

VW Navigation Update

Post by MFT »

When I bought my caddy it came with a 16GB sd card which was able to store the full 'Europe - Bundle 1' map version. With subsequent updates over time, the size of this map bundle has crept over the 16GB storage limit meaning I had to choose a smaller bundle to fit the sd card. Whilst this was hardly the end of the world, it was a bit annoying.

I noticed on the vw site that last month there was another map update so I tried something different this time as an experiment. I downloaded the full map update and deleted what I thought were files that might not be needed. They were:

\maps\00\sds - everything removed apart from GB.dir and meta_info.db
\maps\00\cfg\mapcfg - everything removed apart from VW.dir, vw_default.cfg and vw_man.cfg

This made it small enough to fit on the 16GB sd card and it appears to work. I've only used the navigation for one shortish trip today but so far so good.

I mainly use TomTom Go via Android Auto but it's useful to have a backup just in case.
Mark's Caddy: 2020 Maxi Life 2.0 TDI 6sp DSG 102 PS Indium Grey Metallic (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle)
azauhar
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Re: VW Navigation Update

Post by azauhar »

Thank you for this info. It is very useful, I will try it myself.

Did you also tried to use SD card of different brand with bigger capacity, i.e. 32GB? Is it possible to have it working like this or need to be only official VW SD card?
MFT
Caddy Fan

Post by MFT »

I tried quite a few different sd cards but I think the official VW card has some kind of hidden area/partition that is needed by the Nav system. I attempted all kinds of cloning software to try to copy low level bit for bit my original card to another but I couldn't get it to work. Simply copying the downloaded maps to a new card didn't work.
Mark's Caddy: 2020 Maxi Life 2.0 TDI 6sp DSG 102 PS Indium Grey Metallic (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle)
azauhar
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by azauhar »

Thank you for the information. I read somewhere to unzip downloaded maps I need to use 7zip and then just copy the files to VW SD card? Or it can be any unzipping program?