My new caddy

Show off your caddy
snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: My new caddy

Post by snuffegull »

Thanks guys!

Some progress on the rear bumper, sorting out some solvent pop from when i shaved the parking sensor holes in a hurry the day before an event last time it got painted :lol:

Got me a set of mk4 rub strips, the tops will be painted black, edition 30/35 style
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Progress!

Etch primer

Epoxy primer
Damo2k
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Damo2k »

Nice build,body work is top notch mate.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Thanks a lot!
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Tidying up more rust

Fixing up the headlight washer delete i did previously, without rushing to for a tight deadline this time.

More stuff ready for primer

My sliding door had been repainted at least twice before, and it was a pain to sand, so decided to whip out the paint stripper.
Sanding too much on big flat panels can cause distortion, so this is a safer way of doing it, but very messy :lol: I left it wrapped up over night, hopefully most has come off by tomorrow

Looks like i'm on the hunt for both left side doors also, they are a bit far gone to be worth saving tbh
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

[mention]snuffegull [/mention]can I ask how you went about filling the holes for the rear sensors I have a mk4 bumper and want rid of the sensor holes. Is it just a case of plastic welding a piece behind the hole then cut a circle and plastic weld that in and fill over? Or is there more involved I’m handy with body work I just want to know the best route to go. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

You could go down that route for sure, its a bit fiddly on smaller jobs like this. I find plastic welding best suited for other types of repairs
I did these with glue. Bevel the edge on both sides, with a beltsander, dremel or simular, sand with 80-180 grit, clean, apply adhesion promoter, wait 10-15mins, then tape the backside up, fill the hole up with glue, press it in and smooth it out with a bondo spreader, and once hardened, sand it 180-320 grit, and give it a skim of plastic specific body filler if needed

I use these products
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40071617/

https://www.3msverige.se/3M/sv_SE/p/d/b40071609/
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

That sounds very helpful, esp the product used info 👍
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

[mention]snuffegull [/mention] your way sounds ten times better and a lot less fiddly I’ll definitely be using this method, I’ve got the task of priming a textured bumper at the same time want to make sure this one is done to last. Thanks for the info and links much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gmancan1
200BHP+

Post by Gmancan1 »

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £46.59 20% Off | 5WD 919 275 A 5WD919275A Parking aid system control unit radar sensor For VW ID3 ID4 ID6 Golf 8 MK8 With bracket
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGycyl1

They would have been handy for ya ali has alot of parking senors but these had the wee rings and backing playes for rear could have put in just not wired up (likely what ill do 😂)
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

Are you calling this post "My new Caddy" because it will be new by the time you have finished? ☺️
raitis
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 16V Petrol (100bhp)

Post by raitis »

snuffegull wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:04 pm Image

Nice job on the metal fabrication. Mine is also a 2008 but a German vehicle and rust is even worse in that area, had to buy a new sill :roll: What are you using for rust treatment? Brunox, Hammerite Kurust? Also, in a later post you bare metal the body and use both etch and epoxy primer. Does the etch really make a difference compared to just rust treating and then epoxy priming? I am still learning about this stuff. Thanks in advance.
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Gmancan1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:21 am Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £46.59 20% Off | 5WD 919 275 A 5WD919275A Parking aid system control unit radar sensor For VW ID3 ID4 ID6 Golf 8 MK8 With bracket
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGycyl1

They would have been handy for ya ali has alot of parking senors but these had the wee rings and backing playes for rear could have put in just not wired up (likely what ill do 😂)
That could be a decent option for someone who wants to avoid bodywork.
PJD wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:20 am Are you calling this post "My new Caddy" because it will be new by the time you have finished? ☺️
Well, it was more because i had just bought it, so new to me at the time, but your option works too :) 8)
raitis wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:03 am Nice job on the metal fabrication. Mine is also a 2008 but a German vehicle and rust is even worse in that area, had to buy a new sill :roll: What are you using for rust treatment? Brunox, Hammerite Kurust? Also, in a later post you bare metal the body and use both etch and epoxy primer. Does the etch really make a difference compared to just rust treating and then epoxy priming? I am still learning about this stuff. Thanks in advance.
Thank you! I am using brunox, have done for years and it seems to hold up well when sealed with epoxy after.
Its not really necessary to use both etch and epoxy primer, but i like to use the combo to get both the good bonding properties of etch and the good sealing properties of the epoxy. But you could probably do a long lasting repair with either on its own.
snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

Sliding door starting to take shape, a few small dents and rust spots to sort out

More stuff primed

Found a brand new facelift rear emblem in my stash that i had forgotten that i had. Im going a different route this time rather than metallic black on body color, and the same changes will apply to the front grille and emblem aswell

snuffegull
100BHP+

Post by snuffegull »

The body got primed!

Ive had little luck finding any good condition doors for reasonable money, so i'm repairing the ones i have.

this one wasnt all that bad once i sandblasted it tbh, will probably be fine once everything is treated

the drivers door however is quite bad, but i'll blast it tomorrow and see