builders van to camper van

Show off your caddy
lewisday66
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

builders van to camper van

Post by lewisday66 »

so I thought I'd make a 'build' thread as I want full access and I figure this will help toward the posts required lol.
I picked up my 2011 1.6tdi caddy last July from a dodgy guy who sold vans off his drive, but it was cheap so the 'service booklet he told me was included was actually just a manual for a radio that I didn't look at oh well, my intentions are to 1.9 swap in from a touran as ive already had to fork out £600 for an injector when I was 400 miles from home. picture from the day I broght it home (and got fined for forgetting to pay for the Dartford crossing)

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

lewisday66
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: builders van to camper vanm

Post by lewisday66 »

so i told myself i wasnt modifying it, im a liar 2 days after buying it i got some recaros out of an S3 8L, needed to make some rails as they don't fit directly only caddy or touran bases but that was easy enough. also fitted a ebay android auto radio and some heko wind deflectors.

lewisday66
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: builders van to camper van

Post by lewisday66 »

i then wired the seats in, or atleast the adjustment motors. theyve had a piggyback fuse off of the cigarette lighter. i will eventually get round to getting a loom made for the heated seats but theres much more ahead of that on the list lol.
After that I 'insulated' it with some reflective sheeting, is it the best? no. it made a difference when sleeping in the summer and kept it cooler in the day and not too cold at night. I will be getting some recycled sheet insulation to add in the cavities behind the ply and in the gaps once I sort the electrics out in there. this was also the time I made the 1st version of the bed, not very well with not enough wood lol, but I had 24 hours before I was going on a camping trip and I worked with what I had.
I then went away for 6 months with work so the van sat in a work car park until December when I made the drawers for the bed.
i recently fitted a set of stalks for cruise control and mfd with the intention to get them 'switched on by someone with vcds when I can find some time to do so.
and finally last week I had an injector go 400 miles from home so that cost me £600 for a 10 minute job from the rac man, not the best start to the new year lol.
I believe that's it upto now, not a massive list in comparison to most on here, or even my other car lol.
my next hopefully modification is to get a cheap touran, swap the 1.9 6 speed in with the ac, swap the dash and center console in along with the door cards, this is why I'm here really, im looking for people that have done the swap and any info on how they did it and any problems they came across! thanks for reading, I'll update as I go along to get my 10 posts to gain full access.

lewisday66
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lewisday66 »

it's been 6 months, a week after the first injector went, 2 more went when the retaining bolt snapped, had a local guy come out to sort it, got the bolt out, flattened the injector mating surfaces and added new washers so they hopefully shouldn't blow.
last week the bonnet catch failed, smashed the windscreen at 65mph and was definitely an underwear change moment. New bonnet, hinges, gas strut and windscreen later its now fixed.
I also (kind of) fixed the sliding door that has never opened because I had thought the cable had snapped. I never looked at it as I knew a new mechanism was at least £200 and I didnt fancy paying that, untill this weekend when I was bored so decided to have a proper look, after a few hours taking the mechanism apart and bending some of the metal inside, it now opens, well from the inside. I'm fairly certain the previous owner had taken it apart and didn't put bits back, but its a start!
I finished today off by painting the ply lining finally after buying a tin of shed paint reduced to £3 in aldi at Christmas time.ImageImage

Gmancan1
200BHP+

Post by Gmancan1 »

Looking well budd :)
Facian
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Facian »

Did you take any photos of the seat rail modifications to make the S3 seats fit? I bet they're a lot more comfy!