MOT emissions fail

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Mikeyp42
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

MOT emissions fail

Post by Mikeyp42 »

Hi Guys

I have a 2010 caddy 1.9 c20. 200k miles. It has failed the mot on the emissions. They are reading at 4.5, and manufacturers spec is 1.3. The van has only done 1000 miles in the last year. I’m just wondering if anyone has any ideas tips to try and bring emissions down? The mot tester suggested going down the route of new injectors/turbo, since the readings are so excessively high. I’m new to caddy’s but I’m just thinking is it worth stripping down and cleaning out egr valve etc. I have given the van a service but it made no difference at all. The van belonged to an elderly family member who only used it to go to the local shop and back over the course of a year so it hasn’t been run properly in a long time. Thank you.
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: MOT emissions fail

Post by BenT »

A few things to try - it's most likely that the exhaust system's full of soot if it's jut pootled about, so a long run would do it some good to blast some of it out. Millers Diesel Power Ecomax fuel additive has worked wonders for me in the past, but it might take a few hundred miles to work.

I'd also check for a boost leak, this can cause excessive soot emissions. I'm assuming it's soot causing the problem of course - if the engine's burning a lot of oil then this could make (blue) smoke too.

Does it drive well?
Popsicle
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Popsicle »

As mentioned above give it an 'Italian tune up' ie a good thrashing through the gears, make sure its presented for the MOT retest nice and hot. Fuel additives can help, I regularly use the Millers Ecomax in my 1.9.
In the past I've always found Dipetane fuel treatment to be the best at reducing soot, but it needs to be used at every fill up so it isn't as cost effective as using Millers every 3/4 fill ups.
PeterAFox
200BHP+

Post by PeterAFox »

I agree with BenT and popsicle but it can be difficult to drive around without an MOT.

Read out the fault codes! and post them.
It can be an expensive waste of time just to go by hunch and start changing parts.
Such a fault can be caused by a simple leaky hose or faulty solenoid, or, dare I say it, a blown fuse.

When did it last get a basic service? (air filter, diesel filter, oil change)
Mikeyp42
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mikeyp42 »

Thanks for the replies guys, my friend is giving me a code reader this weekend so I will get the codes and let you know, the van is running fine, it’s a strange one as it drives ok and there isn’t a lot of obvious excessive black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Has anyone tried an engine carbon clean? I have seen that there is some firms offering to carry this out, it’s something I think I might try. Cheers
Popsicle
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Popsicle »

As PeterAFox mentions above, don't go down the parts darts route with your wallet yet. If its running fine but just a bit smokey chances are it'll be something cheapish to fix.
Get the code read so you know whats causing the issue. Most 1.9's have no DPF so a little smoke on hard acceleration is pretty normal and if the previous owners only ever pottered about, never going over 2k revs, then it probably will get better with some high rev runs to clear the crap out the system.
CarlPerkins
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by CarlPerkins »

I took a car for its first mot for an oap neighbour years ago
2k on the clock and that failed on emissions.
The examiner said…… and I quote

Take it for a good sustained ragging for a good half an hour and bring it back.

Passed with flying colours