Headunit Installation - Am I being thick??

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Headunit Installation - Am I being thick??

Post by jockefc23 »

Trying to replace my standard HU with a new Xtrons Touchscreen one. Disconnected old one ok, new HU came with the correct size connector for the van.

However when I've plugged it all in, there is no power going to the HU at all (I've plugged the old one back in to make sure it isn't a fuse etc)

I thought this might happen however as from the look of where the power wires from the van are, they aren't connected to anything on the new connector. See the photos, I presume the brown and red/yellow wires are the power?
PXL_20240330_160726825.jpg
but then on the new connection they are just heading to a blank area (top left)
PXL_20240330_160807271.jpg
Do I need to move the power wires in the block, and if so how do I do this? Or do I need a different connection?

Thanks for any help
Nicklouse
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Headunit Installation - Am I being thick??

Post by Nicklouse »

You will need an adaptor to connect the head unit connector to the car connector. Common thing for most head units. You may also need to run cables from the fuse box as the VW unit uses CAN to turn on and off rather than an ignition live wire.
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Thanks, but that second picture is the connector that came with the headunit, it's connected to the van connector in that photo. This is the other side of it.
PXL_20240330_160816475.jpg
Also the headunit comes with a Canbus box that plugs into this connection unit.
Gary.8
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Gary.8 »

Have you connected the two pin plug with a orange and red wire.....? If so disconnect it.
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Like this one?
PXL_20240330_180348049.jpg
No I didn't attach that, don't even know where it would go to. It has a sticker on it that says "connect cable when installing low - version" - no idea what that means.

For clarity this is the complete connection module that I got with the headunit (with the can bus decoder plugged in)
PXL_20240330_180432335.jpg
And also the wiring diagram for the harness
Screenshot_20240330-182056.png
Gary.8
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Gary.8 »

Going by the second photo at the start of of your post the yellow acc and red wire are not fully seated in the adapter.. so that might be the cause of the problem.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Looks like you have a Caddy4, in which case you have the new style Quadlock connection with power in a new position to the old Quadlock.
You can buy an adaptor harness to convert back to the old Quadlock to suit your new stereo.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Brilliant thanks, I thought there was definitely something wrong there. Do you know where I can get one at all?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

https://www.rcd330.co.uk/collections/al ... 16-vw-cars

Just the first one I found, no affiliation or idea of quality or if the price is fair.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
jockefc23
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jockefc23 »

Excellent thank you for that, some of the ones I was looking at were considerably more expensive.

Strange that I need an adaptor to connect to my adaptor to connect to my van!?! Is that due to the fact that although my caddy is a 2015 plate, it's actually a different mk# from the 2006-2015 ones? Or is it just an oddity? Just thinking for if I try and do anything else to it.

Thanks for all your help people
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

If yours is a Caddy4 with composition or discover head unit, it will have the new style Quadlock connection.
Caddy4 is essentially a mk4 caddy but is built on the same chassis (2K) as the previous generation.