Engine replacement.. advice please

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
frazerk
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Engine replacement.. advice please

Post by frazerk »

Evening all.

I've had my 64 plate 1.6tdi for less than 3 days, and the turbo packed in, plus DPF blocked. so since its on 200k already, i'm looking to swap the engine out for an identical CAYE with ancillaries included. What is a safe level to map this engine to without needing to upgrade anything?

Also - is anyone here breaking anything currently? Need a full NS wing mirror (arm has snapped/corroded through), NS windscreen wiper is missing the nut and appears cross threaded (definitely had a sketchy MOT done by a PX centre in New Kyo, Durham) so currently doesn't swipe at all.

And some advice on how to remove the dash clocks, as it seems half the warning lights have been taped up or blanked off :lol:

Looking forward to getting this back on the road asap, and safely too
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Engine replacement.. advice please

Post by BenT »

Before you start anything, are you sure the turbo's toast? If the DPF was blocked up it would have been in limp mode, so cleaning the DPF and refitting, then resetting it in the ECU might rejuvenate it. What makes you think it's had it? Apologies of course if it has actually died, I don't want to insult your intelligence. Some garages have a liberal relationship with the truth, that's all...
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

The standard remap upgrade on the 1.6 is 102 to 140/150 bhp. To get more power, you’re going down the route of bigger turbo, intercooler and injectors.
I hope you get the issues on your van sorted soon, sounds like it’s in a bit of a pickle. When it’s sorted I’d recommend Matt at DubUnit for your remap, or to do that and the repair work for that matter. He’s well regarded on here and is based over Swadlincote way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Andrew5
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Andrew5 »

Not far from me new kyo if your from the north east try vee dubs think they at hebburn
frazerk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by frazerk »

The engines smoking away, leaking significant oil, and injector 4 is held in by a plastic tie wrap instead of the clamp!! - the 5 codes were showing Turbo Boost control position sensor, Turbo Super charger Under boost, DPF soot accumulation, Coolant Pump B control circuit/open and range/performance.

cheers for the pointers on where to go, I've found a salvage engine (identical engine ciode) with a claimed 36k on the clocks, so will see how we're running at the end of the week and decide if the maps worth it or not. only gonna be 75hp as standard, so may look to push it to middle of the range at some point down the line, when the bank balance has recovered.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Having just re read your initial post about the warning lights being removed etc, it sounds like you e been sold an absolute dog. Can you go about getting your money back and getting something better? Or did you buy it knowingly with a view to fixing it.

frazerk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by frazerk »

I bought it knowing it was a PX to clear with no warranty and 200k on the clocks, so expected some mechanical issue at some point. My mistake was not test driving it first, but its 100% had a dodgy MOT put on it.

Annoyingly, another Caddy buyer was bringing his back with gear selection issues, when i was taking mine, wishing me good luck in the process :shock:
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

If you can prove the MOT is dodgy then I think you’d have a case for a refund. Sounds like a shady outfit.
Hope you get sorted one was or the other mate. Keep us posted.

frazerk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by frazerk »

I've had 2 T4's die on me, currently have a T2 rebuild going wrong (shops gone out of business mid way through stripping my bus) and now the C20 is going to mess me about it seems. beginning to think VW may not be for me haha
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

That sounds expensive! best of luck with all that.

frazerk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by frazerk »

New engine arrived... It's CAYC .. will this be compatible with gearbox and clutch etc as my van is currently CAYE. Will I need to have it mapped after installation??
frazerk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by frazerk »

Vehicle update - the shock absorbers are toast too. Please don't get MOT done at Fencehouses MOT Centre, County Durham!! Killing me right now.

But in positive news, the new engine, timing belt, water pump and shocks will be fitted tomorrow, looking forward to having a little drive about south Wales when its done

Might need to review my plans for the rest of the van now - it started as a turbo replacement, and think I might be trapped in the money pit now
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

frazerk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:10 am New engine arrived... It's CAYC .. will this be compatible with gearbox and clutch etc as my van is currently CAYE. Will I need to have it mapped after installation??
It might not be a CAYC - did it come from another Caddy? If the engine number on the timing belt is CAYCXXXXX (where the xs are numbers) then the C is part of the number, NOT the engine code! VW started putting letters into the numeric part around the Golf MK5 era and it can cause confusion on the caddy vans. Mine says CAYKXXXXX even though there isn't a CAYK engine. In the logbook/door pillar sticker it says mine's a CAYD. If your new engine's from another Caddy it should be a CAYD or CAYE.
frazerk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by frazerk »

I believe it's from a Golf. Mechanic hasn't mentioned any concerns yet
frazerk
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by frazerk »

Van still in limp mode after swapping engine and all ancillaries - Turbo underboost on the newly fitted transplant. so hoping the veins are seized and can be cleaned or the solenoid valve is faulty, after that i'm out of ideas, and worried i might be replacing the turbo after all this anyway