Side Trim / Mouldings

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Side Trim / Mouldings

Post by stu_b »

Ok folks
Have done a search and pulled up some good threads, like this one ...
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... +mouldings

I see a lot of you all have colour coded your side trims (and bumpers etc), now while I realise some of the threads / comments above are quite old, I wondered if there is any new methods, trains of thoughts, ways etc to do this with new products out there in the market etc ...

I was thinking to remove my side trims and colour code them (candy white) to match my 2012 Maxi caddy (from black plastic)....

So it seems the best way to remove is with a fishing line / de-badge etc
Then to remove the glue with an array of chemicals whichever you have at your disposal, gum remover, tardis etc

My questions are ....
Is that the best method of removal ?
Is that the best products to use for glue ?

Then the all important, how do I go about getting these colour coded .... Smooth n sand, smooth n sand ... then prime then spray ???
What products to use etc

All the help would be greatly appreciated

Alternatively, what are my options for alternatives, based on the fact I am in Australia and Tourans aren't readily available, what options are available to buy plain or primed side trims for 2012 Maxi candy white - I see there are a R30 or R35 or something, Life, Tourans being also an option (but I was thinking that they would have to probably come form the UK or similar - which would cost me my left one) so maybe advising part numbers for model suitable that I could look up online and see what is available here in Australia
Also if someone is willing to advise the difference in the options that would be great (ie length, width, trim material etc etc)

Many thanks
phil_m
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Re: Side Trim / Mouldings

Post by phil_m »

In regards to the prep side 320 grit till smooth then 500grit time spent on prep gives the best finish, on the plastics, plastic upol 4 sealer. The primer then topcoat/lacquer.

I’m doing all my trims colour coding gloss black soon aswell as the engine cover I bought second hand.

Been spray painting for 15years or so the above methods have always gave good results on past vehicles.