Potential purchase 2012 CaddymaxiLife: what questions should I ask?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
hopelesscase
Caddy2k Groupie

Potential purchase 2012 CaddymaxiLife: what questions should I ask?

Post by hopelesscase »

Hi,
I'm a lady new to this, have no mechanical background and am considering buying a 7 seater Caddy Maxi Life 2012 as a day van for me and my three surfing children. What questions should i ask the private seller and are there any checks I ought to carry out before I go ahead?
Details: 1.6 Diesel TDI, 45,000 miles, cambelt& clutch 2023, injectors 2024. Thankyou!!!!
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Potential purchase 2012 CaddymaxiLife: what questions should I ask?

Post by BenT »

Hi there, I'd ask for a test drive to make sure it drives well and that there aren't any suspicious noises or odd behaviour - if you can take it out on an A road and get it up to speed then that's great. Ask if they have any service history, too. Before that, I'd use the government check MOT history service to see what its track record is like too, and to see how many advisories there were at the last inspection (possibly a good haggling point if they haven't been done).

Other than that, check the tyre tread depths and look for uneven wear, have a look under the bonnet for any oil leaks (there probably will be some minor leaks on a 12 year old van though), check the oil level too - if it's low it might be burning it. I do wonder why the clutch has been replaced at such a low mileage though. Might it have been abused?

Happy viewing though!
hopelesscase
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by hopelesscase »

Hi BenT,
thanks so much for your helpful comments!
It has full service history.
MOT advisory says all 4 tyres are cracked around the tread. I'm wondering if these are due to age as the tread has passed the MOT. Most of its mileage was done in the first half of its life then its only done 2K/year for the last few years. Owner said cam belt was done because of 'dual mass fly wheel judder' - does this mean anything to you? It's Greek to me!
The guy I'm thinking of buying it from is offering it as part-ex on my Hymer motorhome. He seems to know his stuff and the caddy wasn't actually for sale - he only got it in Dec23, but I showed an interest in it when he came to view my vehicle and it went from there. So I have no real reason to be suspicious, he's answered all of my questions and has sent me photos of all the docs. It seems he and his wife don't need the Caddy if they go ahead and buy my motorhome, maybe just a small runaround instead. I do think he's asking too much as he wants more than his own RAC valuation report, but I can talk to him about that.
Any comments?
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

On the assumption it's a manual, these have solid flywheels rather than dual mass. But, that would be a reason for changing the clutch rather than the timing belt. Assuming the juddering's fixed it should be fine.

Try to have a look at the date stamps on the tyres (something along the lines of e.g. 4321 for 4th of March 2021); if they're old you might be able to haggle something off!
hopelesscase
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by hopelesscase »

Hi BenT,
thanks for all your input. I have just bought it, no judder, seems well looked after - very excited. Back in the VW family again!
And just in time for the May Bank holiday.......
cheers :D :D :D :D
hopelesscase
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by hopelesscase »

and if I post again - I have made it into the full access zone of this site- perfect!
TheGreenCad
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by TheGreenCad »

In solidarity! Just bought one too! And I'm not a mechanic and also trying to get my posts in!
hopelesscase
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by hopelesscase »

Hi TheGreenCad,
congratulations! hope you have some fun plans ahead. I'd post a photo of my auberginemobile as the kids have termed it, but can't figure out how to. had it's first day at the beach last weekend - great.
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

They're lovely vans (most of the time!). Hope you enjoy it :D