Re: marmite drank water

Show off your caddy
rubikzcube
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by rubikzcube »

well we had some serious flooding here in the south of england last week and it would appear that beeing low and driving through puddles over the speed of 2mph :roll: has resulted in my van taking in water and killing my engine :cry:
so i have a question for those in the know ;) i will be replacing the engine and was wondering what everyone woul do? i have been offerd a bxe engine + ecu out of a 2008 passat 50k for £650 or a 2009 523miler out of a golf £1200 with six speed gearbox and all drive shafts ecu etc. any ideas what will fit onto excisting engine mounts or what will be needed in order to change engine from a diffrent vw group car?. any assistance would be appreciated, budget is flexible depending on outcome ;) i will be fitting so can keep cost down, im thinking this would be a good oppotunity to increase to big power :D

Report this post
Firing-line
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Firing-line »

I don't think the passat would be a straight fit, afaik they still mounted differently, it may fit but you'll probably have to chop n change parts from your old engine in order to fit.. The mk5 golf set up should fit but not 100% as to which ecu you'll need, caddy one won't to set up for the golf engine and the golf one won't be set up for the caddy clocks/key etc..

Your own engine maybe rebuildable too but could end up costing more than a replacement one..
smartuki
Hyper Poster

Post by smartuki »

rubikzcube wrote:well we had some serious flooding here in the south of england last week and it would appear that beeing low and driving through puddles over the speed of 2mph :roll: has resulted in my van taking in water and killing my engine :cry:
so i have a question for those in the know ;) i will be replacing the engine and was wondering what everyone woul do? i have been offerd a bxe engine + ecu out of a 2008 passat 50k for £650 or a 2009 523miler out of a golf £1200 with six speed gearbox and all drive shafts ecu etc. any ideas what will fit onto excisting engine mounts or what will be needed in order to change engine from a diffrent vw group car?. any assistance would be appreciated, budget is flexible depending on outcome ;) i will be fitting so can keep cost down, im thinking this would be a good oppotunity to increase to big power :D

Report this post
the 08 passat is on a change over , you will have to look an see if its the same ( look at gearbox end ) .
if the mount looks the same as yours it will go in yes .
the golg would be the easy one the loom is pritty much like for like , on the passat its a bit longer in polaces , an shorter in others . it will go but some messing about , nothing heavy tho .
but the gollf is the better job for a quick turn round , an 6speed too .

once your one is out it would probly only need a conrod , did it stop due to suking up water an stop dead ?
you run it up since ? missrire ,, sounds like its clackety clackity ( piston slap ) type noise ?
if it aint broke an it dont need fixing , then its time to make it go faster .
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

Sorry to hear of your demise. I did kind of pussy around in the floods,not sure what abuse the caddy can deal with. Are these from breakers next to me? Have to agree with what has been said about Golf engine being your best bet mechanical wise but as always the electrics are a different story. :(
rubikzcube
200BHP+

Post by rubikzcube »

smartuki wrote: the 08 passat is on a change over , you will have to look an see if its the same ( look at gearbox end ) .
if the mount looks the same as yours it will go in yes .
the golg would be the easy one the loom is pritty much like for like , on the passat its a bit longer in polaces , an shorter in others . it will go but some messing about , nothing heavy tho .
but the gollf is the better job for a quick turn round , an 6speed too .

once your one is out it would probly only need a conrod , did it stop due to suking up water an stop dead ?
you run it up since ? missrire ,, sounds like its clackety clackity ( piston slap ) type noise ?
yep i went through the flood and it sucked up through the the grill :( it has been started since and yes it runs but sounds like a tractor :lol: i could probally get away with replacing the conrod but im thinking its time for big hp ;) whats needed for the six speed golf engine to work? engine drive shafts ecu!
smartuki
Hyper Poster

Post by smartuki »

well if its just for the ponys then its gona depend on the bhp of both then , if they are much of a muchness then the golf is easyer .
you can out an in in half a day , what id your van , tdi ,sdi ?
rubikzcube
200BHP+

Post by rubikzcube »

smartuki wrote:well if its just for the ponys then its gona depend on the bhp of both then , if they are much of a muchness then the golf is easyer .
you can out an in in half a day , what id your van , tdi ,sdi ?
its tdi 105hp standard but running around 150hp with the remap ;) well i just found out the 500 mile 09 golf engine is a 2.0 tdi 136hp :D £1300 for everything i need :D so im going for this option just nee to check on here what parts are needed to make it work ;)
rubikzcube
200BHP+

Post by rubikzcube »

I.D.S. wrote:Sorry to hear of your demise. I did kind of pussy around in the floods,not sure what abuse the caddy can deal with. Are these from breakers next to me? Have to agree with what has been said about Golf engine being your best bet mechanical wise but as always the electrics are a different story. :(
thanks, i think the golf also especially with six speed box and 136bhp as standard ;)
smartuki
Hyper Poster

Post by smartuki »

rubikzcube wrote: thanks, i think the golf also especially with six speed box and 136bhp as standard ;)
should be out an in in the day then no worrys , only need the engine loom etc , but it should be the same as whats in yours anyway
rubikzcube
200BHP+

Post by rubikzcube »

smartuki wrote: should be out an in in the day then no worrys , only need the engine loom etc , but it should be the same as whats in yours anyway
just read back through your message no this engine is 5 min away from me in eastergate, west sussex through breakers called src salvage :) engine is fully complete, starter motor, alternator, turbo, engine cover, engine loom, 6 speed gearbox including clutch, flywheel along with ecu n driveshafts n gear linkage. im hoping thats all thats needed but if there is anything else i would appreciate someone letting me know ;)
Firing-line
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Firing-line »

Don't forget you can sell on what's left of your old engine to recoup some costs, gearbox, injectors, starter, diesel pump, possibly the head if it wasn't damaged..
I.D.S.
Hyper Poster

Post by I.D.S. »

Yes that's the one. I'm hoping that they can find me some more comfy seats :lol: