difficulty selecting gears

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
fenwick458
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

difficulty selecting gears

Post by fenwick458 »

about a month ago just as i was going for an overtake i couldn't find a gear, so i pulled over and phone my dad to get him to come and give me a tow as i thought the clutch or gearbox had gone, but then as i was waiting for him i was having a poke about and discovered that the gear selector that connects the 2 cables to the selector fork on the top of the box had come loose, so i tightened it up and away i went. this was fine untill this weekend when it happened again, so i just tightened it up and carried on, thought nothing of it.
then today i found it hard to select any gears at all when moving, so i though it was just the selector falling off again and quickly pulled over to get out of the rain to sort it in a garage forecourt, but it turned out the nut was still tight? then i could select gears no probs when stationary, but when on the move i had to be very gentle to get them in smoothly, most of the time i could only get it in gear with a crunch. i then carried on as i had to be somewhere and it was important, got there ok towards the end of the journey it was getting easier to change gear, i thought i was just mastering the smooth no clutch change (like when i was in the army driving old wagons with no clutch at all by matching the revs) but must have been to do with something else because when i set off to come back everything is fine again. it's a bit notchy, but nothing too bad.
so does anyone recognise the symptoms, has something similar happened to your caddy? I bled the brakes at the weekend, but didn't bleed the clutch as i forgot it was hydraullic to be honest. long shot, but could a bit of air just got into the clutch line, and then it somehow bled itself?
could it be the clutch slave cylinder on its way out? i need to find a 6 speed conversion fast as i'll be damned if i'm paying to fix this bloody 5 speed box as i want to upgrade anyway.
Adam87
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Re: difficulty selecting gears

Post by Adam87 »

This happened to mine once before I changed to a 6sp it lasted for about a week so booked in a Vw then the day before it stopped it was fine and never did it again and I had it in for another year after that until I swapped it, no lose nuts or cables tho
fenwick458
Hyper Poster

Post by fenwick458 »

goes in all forward gears ok now , apart from reverse which takes a bit of coaxing and goes in with a bit of a crunch. it think it feels like the clutch is not fully engaging, so when changing gears the input shaft is spinning too fast. i'll re-bleed the clutch line when i get chance.
does anybody sell complete 6 speed conversion kits?
fenwick458
Hyper Poster

Post by fenwick458 »

seems to be completely cured now. strange or what
fenwick458
Hyper Poster

Post by fenwick458 »

never happened again and the 5sp has been removed now, although i did get to the bottom of why the gear selector kept falling off; the shifter weight on the top of the box has some splines which lock onto some splines on the selector fork going into the box, well the splines on the weight were no more, and it was just relying on the nut being tight to hold it in position. every time i changed gear in a hurry it mush have been moving it a litte bit wearing it, and then the movement would loosen the nut and eventually it would fall off and need re tightened. the splines on the gearbox seem fine, which is good as i can sell it on a working gearbox with no selector now