Soundproofing & insulation guides??

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
al@reflect
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Soundproofing & insulation guides??

Post by al@reflect »

Hi
I'm hoping to pick a caddy up on Thursday.
It's ply lined at present.
It will be my only vehicle, and I'd like advice and guides on the following.
Soundproofing, insulation, and carpeting please.
It's only getting light use with my detailing equipment.
Cheers
Al
http://www.reflectdetailing.com
professional auto detailing & valeting
Flameboi201
Caddy Fan

Re: Soundproofing & insulation guides??

Post by Flameboi201 »

Just done mine . Makes the world of difference . Flash band from wicks for sound deadening . 3mm ply and make shore you use heat proof spray glue . Or it will fall of in summer . :lol:
al@reflect
200BHP+

Post by al@reflect »

Flameboi201 wrote:Just done mine . Makes the world of difference . Flash band from wicks for sound deadening . 3mm ply and make shore you use heat proof spray glue . Or it will fall of in summer . :lol:
What's flash band??
I also want to Capet the interior
http://www.reflectdetailing.com
professional auto detailing & valeting
andy_mc_mac
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by andy_mc_mac »

Hi mate.

Flash band or roofing flash (stuff from wickes or B&Q is fine) is what you will need to begin sound proofing. Roughly two - 3 rolls should sort you.
Then I added 25mm polystyrene roof insulation on top securing with a little spray glue and aluminium tape.
On top of that you will need to cut and fit the ply sections.
Finally give mark a message on here. Or check out Mega Van Matts on the interweb for the carpet.
Their anthracite stretchy carpet is perfect and fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it!

Set aside enough time to do the job properly else you will be driving round with a mobile carpeting workshop for weeks like I did!!
Realphotos
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Realphotos »

Can anyone tell me the most essential areas to sound proof in the front cabin? I have bulkheads sealing off the rear so just doing the front.
It's hard to tell where most of the road noise comes in but I'm guessing the firewall?
Already put touran carpets in and about to dynamat the doors.
Don't know if doing the floor would help much?
andy_mc_mac
100BHP+

Post by andy_mc_mac »

Depends if you are just wanting to rid road noise or engine noise as well. If just road noise then yes - floor and doors but a lot of the noise will be resonating from the front wheel arches. So be sure to insulate that area too with dynamat (if that's what you are using).

Forgot to mention in previous post that I have also used a layer of Aluminium bubble wrap insulation sheeting in between the flashband and the polystyrene sheets!
For me it's as much about heat insulation as sound deadening.
luke s
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by luke s »

Im doing the same at the moment with my caddy but the rear as ive removed the bulkhead.Ive seen a few people on here put rockwool loft insulation in between the rear doors and side panels but i really wouldnt recomend that as the outer panels condensate so the rock wool will be wet and eventually rot your van out.The best way i can see is to put polethene over the holes on the doors and rear panels like car doors then use an under carpet sound deading like on the floors of cars behind the the ply lining in the recceses

Luke
andy_mc_mac
100BHP+

Post by andy_mc_mac »

Another reason you don't use normal loft insulation is as well as the fact it will go moldy over time it will sag and fall to the lower half of the van after a few bouncy journeys as the fibres compress and it sags. This then means the it is only sound deadening the lower half of the panels!