12v Wiring

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
02Holdend
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

12v Wiring

Post by 02Holdend »

Evening lads. My Ex BG maxi has some 12v LED puck lights in the rear headlining, installed pre my ownership. They are on one of the cheapo LED strip style remotes. Little lad spilt a can of pop in the cup holder and knackered the remote. So plan is too drop the liner and chop off the receiver and wire into a 3 way on-off-on switch. One on too be powered from the OEM rear internal light power (that's how I imagine they're wired now as turn off auto when van locked) and the other is too be permanent wired off the battery (will need too remember too turn it off!). My question is, any suggestions on what guage wire too use ? Cheers ! :D
Dextersaurus
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Re: 12v Wiring

Post by Dextersaurus »

Doesn't need to be big for LEDs to be fair but it really depends on the type. I'd probably go with 1.5mm which would handle about 20 amps - would be plenty for this.

If you're pulling power to the back anyway though, might be worth thinking about what else you might want to add.

Nothing stopping you taking a heavier wire to the back into a separate mini fuse box like I did on mine along with the subwoofer
2009 Caddy SWB 104
Edinburgh, Scotland
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/cable-si ... ction.html

I’ve used this in the past mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
02Holdend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by 02Holdend »

Cheers Gents ! Doing a bit of digging today and found the extra fusebox BG installed in the dash ! Might not be a dead remote after all. Gunna have a text of everything tomorrow and see what's what. Wish I'd known about the Aux box when pulling everything apart too hide dash cam cabling! Cheers again